Ice House v. The Nest

Closed Thread

Question Ice House v. The Nest

I'm going to be working in Wan Chai for a little bit and was wondering which was better out of the Ice House and The Nest? The Nest is cheaper, but does it being in Kowloon mean it will be harder to get home to? Also, are both of the areas ok? (I'm a young female student, so don't want to be alone in a bad area). Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hong Kong is safe. Transport runs until late and then there are overnight buses and minibuses,or you can catch a taxi. But where are you studying?

In case anyone doesn't know, here is the The nest's website

Last edited by drumbrake; 19-06-2009 at 04:24 PM.

I have a summer work placement on Connaught Road near the ferry terminal.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of either the Ice House or the Nest? And is it normal to have to send credit card details via email to secure a booking?

Ice House would be more convenient, but you could get to and from work from The Nest for under HK$20 a day using the MTR.

On tripadvisor, one average review of the Nest. None for Ice House

Using credit card for bookings, as long as secure site, is normal.

big difference of cost between the nest and ice house. the nest sounds like a guest house and Ice house sounds like a proper serviced apartment.

What is your budget? Try and find a short term flat share would be my recommendation unless your budget is quite good then i would recommend u stay at Ice House. The nest is in a very busy place, Fa Yuen Street / Gold Fish Market is very crowded, Smelly from the Stinky Tofu stall .

Basically, I'd like to get somewhere as cheap as possible (no point in spending money needlessly...) but really really don't want to end up somewhere gross. I'm fine with noise (I live in university halls...) but hate the idea of anywhere dirty, and have heard bad bad things about fire safety/landlords just walking into your room etc. By guesthouse do you mean more like a private room in a youth-hostel-ey style place? As that sounds fine, or do you mean along the lines of the places in Mirador Mansions or Chungking Mansions, because they sound revolting? Like I said, I'm aiming for as cheap as possible, HKD13,000 is about the maximum monthly rent I could stretch to, so Ice House just fits in. Is Atria good? And also, to what extent is it acceptable to negotiate down the rent? Or is it better to just pay what's quoted? Thank you all so much for your help so far!!!