Where are the popular flat sharing areas?

Closed Thread

Where are the popular flat sharing areas?

Hi all,

I'm planning a move to HK and since I will be flying back to Beijing to visit my family every other weekend, I would like to find a shared apt to save some money. Basically I'm looking for these few things in accomodation: lower rent, short commute to Central, and a bit of green/outdoors activity.

I have been considering the mid-levels as I hear it is close to central, where I'll be working, close to the night life, and offers some green away from the neon lights. I only found a few postings of sharing in the central mid-levels area though. Is this not a good area for flat sharing? Maybe because it is not convenient if one doesn't have a car? I'm a bit turned off by the areas too close to Causaubay and Wan Sai, because how busy they appear to be on the pictures I found online. Are these ok places to live?

Another question I have is about tax cut on the rental expenditure. If I share an apt with others, and do not have a contract with the landlord, I wonder if there are ways I could get the tax cut on my rental. I'm thinking it is possible that I could get the main lessee to issue writen invoice/receipt to me. Would that be sufficient for the tax authority to recognize as evidence of rental expenditure?

Thanks a lot.

Limin

if you are going to be flying every other weekend, a really convenient place to live is just above kowloon station. i think there are like 3 apartment complexes there, as well as a mall called elements.

kowloon station is one stop away from hong kong station (which is right next to central station-walking distance, since u say u will be working in central)
    kowloon station also has an airport checkin and airport express (direct train to the airport)

check out this thread about the apartments
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread24387.html

also west kowloon is generally more spaced out and less congested than living in midlevels/central, not to mention the amazing harbor views you can get from some of the apartments.

if youre looking for alot of green/outdoors you could also try tsing yi, which is an island with alot of green, mostly a residential area tho and its 6 stops away from central, and is also an airport express station.

if you want something cheap, close to the airport and green/outdoorsy, try tung chung. its right next to the airport, 30 mins to central by MTR, pretty cheap and new apts and alot of nature/beaches nearby.

causeway bay is extremely congested and if youre looking for nature/trees its def not the place to live. wanchai is less congested and u can find some pretty nice apts near star st which are quieter and not so busy.

hope that helps

Hi Spring88, thanks so much for the information! I also thought about Kowlong Station and Olympic, but weren't sure if there are enough people sharing flats. I'm single and for the same amount of money, would rather share a larger living room with one or two flatmate(s), than living alone in one of the mini apts with amenity that I never use. However, I'd adjust if long-term sharing is difficult to find in HK.

I also thought about Tsing Yi and Tung Chong, and ruled them out because of the long commute from work and night life. I know, I know, sometimes I want my greenery and sometimes I want my cocktails. I guess having lived in downtown DC, where nature and city are both within walking/biking distance, I have got a bit spoiled. I'm still hoping for both, but please tell me if I need to wake up...

umm.... you need to wake up...

unless you go to southside or pok fu lam, hk island is one mass of congestion.

30 minutes, too long a commute???? this is hk! that's a perfectly ok commute time.(even if you were in mid-levels, you could end up with a 20-30 minute commute because of insane traffic). tung chung would be the best bet for you.

you are 10 mintues from the airport. if you are going to beijing and back every 2 weeks... you need something easy.

tung chung is cheap, plus you get facilities with their club houses.
    it has a supermarket right there that is more than adequately stocked.
    there is a fairly good cinema and some restaurants, too.

there is no reason why you couldn't live in tung chung, go out for drinks after work and catch the last train home. many people do it. or you could try to share a taxi or catch a night bus home.

you are moving to one of the most expensive, crowded cities in the world... you need to wrap your head around that before you get here. then you may be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by carang; 20-06-2009 at 01:41 PM.

if you look somewhere in midlevels ABOVE Hong Kong Park/Botanical Gardens, you could be close to the greenery and close to Central...walk down thru the park every morning to work would be nice (in winter at least lol) and Airport Express from Central is an easy ride to the airport...

sorry, rereading my post, it sounds MUCH harsher than i meant it.

but you do need to get here and have a look around before you settle something as important as where you are going to live....

No worries Carang, and thank you and Tim both for your suggestions. I will have to adjust my expectations and see how I feel when I get there. I guess even if I'm in Tung Chong, if I'm right by the MTR I might be OK. One has to know her limitations though, and my best intent on saving money by longer commute had ended rather sadly in the past. I lived in NYC for 7 years so I understand the compromises and eventually had to move back in Manhattan. I managed to live in the city and save money by sharing an apt, and am trying to do the same here.

Unless sharing in HK is a rather rare?

Gumtree has some flat share listings