The number 4

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    That's right - 4 and the end means you are at the end (= death).
    Learn something new every day. Thanks!

Interesting.... !

Thanks for the replies everyone,
    Interesting to see the differences in opinion! Personally I don't mind if its number four, but I guess I can see in the future for re-sale value then maybe it might make the difference between a sale and no-sale..
    Cheers!

some useless/useful info...

...courtesy of a local poster on batgung.com. Explains it all quite well I thought.

I would say it takes a superstitious Cantonese community with many superstitious real estate developers before they could come up with these odd ball floor numbers....

I now attempt to explain a bit more. The word or phrases in brackets are the Cantonese pronunciations:

The number 3 has a resemblance of the pronunciation of the word 生 (pronounced as San). One of the meaning of 生 is life.

The number 4 has a resemblance of the pronunciation of the word 死 (Sei), which means death.

The number 8 has a resemblance of the pronunciation of the word 發 (Fat)﹐ and is related to the term 發財 (Fat Choi), which mean prosperity, in a sense.

The number 5 has a resemblance of the pronunciation of the word 吾 (Ng), which doesn't mean anything by itself. It's just an exclamation anyway. Just like the word 嗯 in Mandarin. However if you combine 吾 with any Cantonese word the meaning of it would just be the opposite. So 53 might mean 吾生 (Ng San) to somebody and 58 might mean 吾發 to somebody else. Some might see these two as curses as well.
    Last edited by Pekkerhead; 22-06-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: fixed OP's spelling mistakes

our family name is NG and when we were naming our children, hubby was very careful in choosing a name for the very reason said above.

if we'd named our daughter NG MEI (beautiful) something...then it would have meant "not beautiful something"

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    i never cared too much for feng shui before, ....
    Either did I, until I found that you can convince a mega-rich woman (Nina Wang) to do spend stupidity-large amounts of money on feng shui things. But none of it worked - she still died.

But the feng shui must have been good for him (Tony Chan) as he is trying to get his grubby hands on her billions.

I understand the caution with "4", but feng shui is another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:

But the feng shui must have been good for him (Tony Chan) as he is trying to get his grubby hands on her billions.
    Apparently, feng shui masters are not supposed to use their feng shui to help themselves get rich because it goes against the principles...

Of course it works the opposite with renting. A colleague got a good deal on flat 4, floor 4.

Carang: that must be a nightmare for naming kids.

it sucked... i really wanted ng mei ling....i don't know what it means, i just liked the sound of it... i was very quickly told it wasn't going to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Apparently, feng shui masters are not supposed to use their feng shui to help themselves get rich because it goes against the principles...
    HAHA...but Tony Chan is not exactly a proper feng shui master is he. Is basically made up lots of stupid things like telling her to dig massive pot holes everywhere and burning $1000 notes every day. Some people are so gullible to believe such crap some self-proclaimed expert tells them.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiew888:
    HAHA...but Tony Chan is not exactly a proper feng shui master is he.
    I would call him many things but a feng shui master. He is allegedly a crook, liar, theif, forger and cheat. Well, they are the allegations in court.