HKG Relocation

HKG Relocation

Hello,

have been offerred a work relocation to HKG but need some advice - have 2 young kids (1yrs and 3 yrs) and want to know where I should be looking to live. Will be working in Wan Chai? And will need to be close to facilities and good schooling?
    Are most places furnished or not and approx rent for a decent place?
    Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentNovak
    Hello,

have been offerred a work relocation to HKG but need some advice - have 2 young kids (1yrs and 3 yrs) and want to know where I should be looking to live. Will be working in Wan Chai? And will need to be close to facilities and good schooling?
    Are most places furnished or not and approx rent for a decent place?
    Much appreciated.
    Your question marks make it confusing. Do you want to know if you will be working in Wan Chai?

Rents are from HK$5000 to HK$500,000 per month. What is your budget? What are your priorities in terms of location?

Brent there are several posts on this topic already just scroll down.

A bit more information such as:

how much is your budget? or at least a range will do.
    What are your priorities for living? Meaning what can you not live without? what would you like but can live without?
    What is the maximum commute time you are seeking?
    Will you have access to car and/or driver?

Sorry for lack of detail/confusion - I will be working in Wan Chai and probably wouldn't want to commute for more than 40 mins, as for budgets - I will be earning roughly HKD $1.3m per year so depending on tax which i have no idea on would guess I could afford about $35k per month.

Rgds.

A few other essentials - good schooling for our little girl and close to shops, also wouldn't mind decent run to airport if that fits in with accomm - however that could be sacrificed.

ok, with a 40 minute commute as doable... you've narrowed it down to approximately 90% of hk...LOL!

budget definitely helps, but again, we need to know specifics...

1) is a garden required?
    2) do you prefer highrise or house?
    3) smack dab in the middle of the hustle and bustle or out in the "countryside"?
    4) do you require facilities like pool or gym?
    5) are you ok with driving or would you prefer to use hong kong's fine public transport system?
    6) what type of school are you looking for? kindergartens have fierce competition as do the international schools. "good schools" are plenty, but spaces at these schools are limited. it might be good to sort out schooling before you look for a place to live.
    7) most places are semi-furnished. that is they have basic electricals but not much else. (air conditioners, cooker/stove top, possibly a fridge, possibly a washing machine)

the answers to some of these questions would really help us guide you more. right now, you are asking how long is a piece of string?

Ok hopefully this narrows it down -

) is a garden required? Would prefer a garden so kids could play.

2) do you prefer highrise or house?I prefer a house

3) smack dab in the middle of the hustle and bustle or out in the "countryside"? Happy with either so long as shops or schools are easy to access

4) do you require facilities like pool or gym? no essential

5) are you ok with driving or would you prefer to use hong kong's fine public transport system? would be fine with driving but would need public transport close as my wife doesnt drive

6) what type of school are you looking for? kindergartens have fierce competition as do the international schools. "good schools" are plenty, but spaces at these schools are limited. it might be good to sort out schooling before you look for a place to live.

Looking for a 3/4 year old kinder or school depending on starting age there. Would like Sienna to speak english but learn mandarin

7) most places are semi-furnished. that is they have basic electricals but not much else. (air conditioners, cooker/stove top, possibly a fridge, possibly a washing machine)
    Excellent can bring all else or is it dirt cheap to buy the furniture?

Again thanks for your help - I have also heard that income tax is only 15% is that correct?

Brent

i would suggest you look at clearwater bay or sai kung. you could also look at discovery bay.

clearwater bay/sai kung:
    -it would take roughly 40 minutes by public transport to reach wanchai
    - for $35K housing you could get a 2100' house with a garden & rooftop. you would probably get 4-5 bedrooms etc.
    -your wife would be able to access shops in both sai kung & hang hau via public transport (if you lived in sai kung, then access to sai kung & hang hau are easy) if you live in clearwater bay, then hang hau is easy if you don't drive
    -there are good international schools/playgroups around and also some very good local ones (kids learn cantonese as the mother tongue). my son goes to a local kindie and LOVES it. he is not the only mix in the class and there are 4-5 white faces in his class, too! once you have your visa, you can apply for the gov't voucher and school fees at his school are subsidised (we only pay $160/month!)
    -small town feel in sai kung
    -definitely away from the hustle and bustle, clearwater bay is more remote

discovery bay:
    -people either love it or hate it (i loved living there)
    -a lot of expats, so VERY easy for wife and child to make friends
    - housing more expensive than sai kung, but you could possibly get a smaller flat on the ground floor with a small garden
    -garden not as big of a necessity as there are playgrounds in every village
    -can join the residents' club if you don't mind the fees and access the playroom, billiards room, pool, tennis, squash, gym etc
    -30 minute commute to central, then you'd have to add commute time to wanchai, maybe another 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic

i would strongly suggest you look at these areas when you get here and have a look at what's available in both. actually go see the flats/houses. so you know exactly what you are comparing.

good luck!

you could also look at PARKVIEW.
    i have no idea what costs are there, but there are quite a few expats.
    they have a shuttle bus that goes through wan chai. there is a supermarket there (nothing else) but wanchai is a 5 minute taxi ride away.

HAPPY VALLEY would be another option.
    depending on where in wanchai you work you could even conceivably walk to work in winter and tram it in summer.
    LOTS of shops in easy access.
    not sure of housing there, though...

why not opt for a serviced apartment for a few months to get familiarized with the area first or come here a month earlier to see the neighborhoods.