Like Tree2Likes

Shatin, Tai po, Mah on shan, or others?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vam
    A 700 sq ft apartment in a 3-storey village house would cost about
    $8K to $16K.
    It sounds like they want a whole house not an apartment in a house as their budget is around $35k.

There is an complex in Tai Po called Beverly Hills with a lot of houses free and roughly what you have asked for, they are the size of a whole village house but have linked underground personal parking spaces so you might want to check them out, I think they start at around $35k.

They have a really good kids facilities too

Beverly Hills is typical of all those Tai Po developments. But I think it is the newest of them.

casa marina and beverly hills are 2 cheap options in Tai Po and facailities wise they r much better then village houses.

I recommend the area where I live, Sai Sha Road. It's like 5 mins from Ma On Shan and around 15 mins by car to Shatin. There are new villas there and I think HK$35k/mth is more than enough for a consolidated village house. Well, for that price you could get a very spacious place in a Ma On Shan flat, which is what I recommend. I think the Athena Villas would be ideal for you, but really loads of places around Ma On Shan.

Hong Lok Yuen house info

Our family moved from US July 2008 and we have been living in Hong Luk Yuen since then. First we rent a house with roughly 3000 sq sf, with 4BR and 5BA. House was totally remodeled ~2.5yrs ago, and we rented it for 51K. We recently moved to a house with 2150sf w/4BR/3BA, just totally remodeled. Rent: $39K. There are smaller units in Hong Lok Yuen (1650 sq ft, 1850 sq ft) may fit into your budget.

I agree Hong Lok Yuen house is either a miss or hit. The whole development is quit old (I heard in the late 70's, so you need to look at houses that were remodeled in rent years. None-remodeleld house is not bearable (to my standard). I also looked at house in Beverly Hill (most brand new, ~HK$12-$13/sq ft for rent) before I rent this current one. They have 3100 sq ft house may close to your rent budget. Definitely worth a look. Your family will love the club house there. Be aware that the 3100 sq ft is not really your usable sq ft, you have to look at the usage % which can range from 60% to lower 90%. I did not thought about this before I came here (our US house sq ft was measured differently, and there is no such thing as "usage %" for single family house.)

My husband works in HK Science Park and our kids goes to Ma On Shan school (ESF: English school foundation, based on IB system). The daily drive is reasonable (~12 minute to Science Park and ~15 minutes Ma On Shan school). Late afternoon jam can make the drive 25min, but rarely.

Lots of people choose Hong Lok Yuen due to the reason that Hong Lok Yuen International school is inside of community. It is an elementary school.

You will also have a Park & Shop (called International due to its food supplies source), a Shell gas station, a bakerary, a hair saloon. Club house is old, swimming pool is decent.

Hope these help

Thanks all for the valuable info so far.

Here's an update where things stand.

I am in HK at the moment, and visited a few places today with an agent.

We first went to Hong Lok Yuen. I was soooooo dissapointed. She showed me two houses, one 1800sqft, and another 3100sqft. You guys were right in that they tend to be pretty old. Both houses i visited hadnt been remodelled for a while, and was horrible.

We then went to Beverly Hills. I was impressed with the entrance and the views were amazing. BUT (sorry), although the unit was supposed to be 2500+ sqft, it felt really cramped (narrow staircases and all that). It was spread across 3-4 floors (i lost count!), and i dont know if this is going to be dangerous for my 3 YO. Perhaps it was just the row i visited, but the houses also felt like they were all built really close together, and felt squashed. Another limiting factor for Beverly Hills is that they didnt have a convenience store / shop within the compound, nor was there a shuttle service that takes you anywhere. Having said that, the club house did look amazing. And they have a cool service where you call up the security post and they send a golf buggy to pick you from your unit and take you to the club house. Definitely still up for consideration.

Next, we visited Casa Marina (phase 1). While it doesnt have a club house anywhere as nice as Beverly Hills, i liked the units as they had high ceilings, and less densely populated. It also had a Park-n-shop just outside, and a shuttle bus.

Also, although advertised with garden, the gardens in Casa marina and Beverly hills units were tiny (Me :"so where's the garden" / EstateAgent:"you are standing on it")

So, in summary (so far)

HLY Pros :
    - bigger units with garden
    - School within compound

HLY Cons :
    - old
    - units can be quite far from club house

Beverly Hills pros :
    - excellent club house
    - new units
    - great view

Beverly Hills cons :
    - small kitchen
    - cramped
    - no shuttle service
    - small garden

Casa Marina pros :
    - newish units
    - high ceilings
    - park-n-shop
    - shuttle bus
    - less units
    - great view

Casa Marina cons :
    - small kitchen
    - across multiple floors
    - small garden

i am going to visit Sai kung later in the week. Will keep ya'll posted.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    Fanling/Sheung Shui are rather isolated from the rest of expat HK. Yes, you can get to HK Island, but it will take some time. And with a 3 YO and normal bed time/nap routines, it will be even harder to get places.
    Tai Po would be my northern limit and only with a car. We looked at a handful of places in Tai Po, but not really practical without a car.
    however, you can get a very large luxury house eg, more than 2500 sqft in the northern district even some local stars have moved from hk island to shueng shui. eg, leon lai

IFC

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    however, you can get a very large luxury house eg, more than 2500 sqft in the northern district even some local stars have moved from hk island to shueng shui. eg, leon lai
    Such developments include Royal Oaks and St. Andrews Place, which are beautiful from the outside looking in, but in general they are quite inaccessible and one major drawback is that they are located next to very old village houses, so the scenery from the inside looking out is less than ideal. Because they were basically developed on very cheap land previously occupied by old villages, the roads leading to these developments are also very narrow, including single lane roads that are used for both directions, and utmost care must be taken on these roads, which for some can be quite nerve-racking. As with any housing near villages, one also has to look out for stray dogs and cats, which seems to be plentiful around the Sheung Shui area.

A similar development is the Vineyard in Yuen Long. Also a very nice development that is beautiful, but again, developed on very cheap farm land with the surroundings being that of rather rustic-looking villages.

In terms of views and accessibility, these locations are well below what can be found in Tai Po, with certain developments having stunning mountain and sea views, with very quick access traveling not only to Shatin, but also to Central, which is a mere 30-35 minutes on the new highway extension. However, I would strongly recommend not only having a car, but having a driver when living in any of these developments, and surely this kind of housing is targeted toward owners (not really renters) with the wealth that can afford such amenities without having to worry about public transportation or shuttle buses or convenience stores nearby or anything of the like.

we are out in sai kung country park. there are NO facilities, NO clubhouses etc. we have an entire village house with a 1000' garden. we have a rooftop etc. we pay half of your monthly budget. you MUST drive to live out here as otherwise, it's a nightmare. but it might be something to think about. we are exactly 30 minutes from sha tin town centre, i drive it every single day.

personally, with kids...
    1) club houses: would be wonderful to have one and convenient, but life exists without them.

2) shuttle bus: could be convenient, depending on schedule, frequency, # of seats vs # of passengers but i wouldn't plan a move around it, especially if you will be getting a car or two

3) shops etc.: if there are no shops around, you learn VERY quickly how to plan your day. when you go out, you don't come back without stopping to pick up what is needed. most "local" shops wouldn't have what i'd run out of anyway...

4) kindergartens/schools: this is something you should think VERY LONG about. you don't want your little one travelling too long to commute to school. think about primary school, too....not just kindergarten.

5) space requirement: it is lovely having the extra space that we have, but it is impossible to find the size of place you are looking for with large staircases, as that would be considered a "waste". if you rent a large house, they will ALL have stairs. my two kids have grown accustomed to all of the stairs. we still have a fence blocking off the living room from the stair wells as i don't want the kids to fall down when playing, but really stairs have never been a problem (my two are now 4.5 & 2.5~ we've been where we are for the past 2 years).

6) highrise living in the boonies: personally, i do NOT understand why people move out of the "city" only to live in another cramped highrise development... wouldn't even consider it, myself.

good luck with the move!

ps> having a driver is COMPLETELY unnecessary! what a waste of money, especially if you can drive yourself. i'd rather have that extra $10k/month in my pocket, thanks!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast