Like Tree2Likes

Shatin, Tai po, Mah on shan, or others?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Casa24--as you wish.

shenwen--
    You both spend 10 hours at work, per day. An 18 month old should be getting 11 hours of sleep at night. That would be 21 of 24 hours. So, you spend 3 hours per day and your DH spends, subtracting out the 2 hour nap, 7 hours per day. But you are the ones doing all the teaching and example setting? Equally naive.
    Before everyone gets really excited, the following is an opinion---
    And the people in the UK and US and wherever are equally wrong. It would be best if the actual parents stayed home with the child. Obviously not possible for both, so one of two.

Also, I think you can make an economic argument for two parents working and having to have some sort of childcare, be it DH, day care or grandparents. In which case, not ideal, but fine. However, the economic case has to be something more than affording the second BMW or 6,000th handbag or mommy or daddy feels that their career trumps having to care for a child. If they really feel that way, they should have just skipped the child.

Hmm - not sure I agree fully with all your points ...

I do agree that seeing a child for 3 hours a day is not raising it. But I don't necessarily agree that a mother has to stay home all the time though - although I do agree that if they work just to provide the BMW or handbag as per your example this is not ideal. Working because staying at home all day would send the mother nuts seems to be a reasonable excuse though!

Having said that, I believe that being a parent is a choice. If you make that choice, you should be prepared to deal with it. Just leaving the raising to a DH seems to be a cop-out! If you don't want to take time off work, then why have the child in the first place? I do think that grandparents looking after children is a positively good thing and not a cop-out. They are family, they can instill the right values into children, it gives grandparents such satisfaction too and an ongoing role ... I feel a little sorry for the grandparents of expat kids who never see them (not anyone's fault, obviously).

But to be fair, my beef is not with working parents who love their children and are just trying their best to juggle work and home and paying bills .... it's with rich parents, where the wife does NOT work but where the DH does all the child-rearing anyway while the wife goes out to chat with other wives or go shopping.... that's the scenario that really gets my goat and in my view of the world, they are often the folks who claim they need a driver! Coming back to one of the original themes of this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    But to be fair, my beef is not with working parents who love their children and are just trying their best to juggle work and home and paying bills .... it's with rich parents, where the wife does NOT work but where the DH does all the child-rearing anyway while the wife goes out to chat with other wives or go shopping.... that's the scenario that really gets my goat and in my view of the world, they are often the folks who claim they need a driver! Coming back to one of the original themes of this thread!
    I agree with that.

I also think the grandparents are a better choice than a DH, although not as good of a choice as a parent.

When you have a child or two or three, sacrifices have to be made. You don't have to live in a cardboard box, but you don't have to live in the mansion, either. So, do you really need the driver? Seems to me that about 5% of private citizens in HK own a car, so it would seem that a driver is not a necessity. If you need a second income to be able to afford the DH and the driver, just skip the both and take care of your kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    I agree with that.

I also think the grandparents are a better choice than a DH, although not as good of a choice as a parent.

When you have a child or two or three, sacrifices have to be made. You don't have to live in a cardboard box, but you don't have to live in the mansion, either. So, do you really need the driver? Seems to me that about 5% of private citizens in HK own a car, so it would seem that a driver is not a necessity.
    How does the low figure of private car ownership prove that a driver is not necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    How does the low figure of private car ownership prove that a driver is not necessary?
    I would assume it highlights a low need for private cars (which is consistent with the fantastic public transport in HK) and that private cars are thus mainly used for status by high worth individuals rather than for "need".

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Casa24--as you wish.

shenwen--
    You both spend 10 hours at work, per day. An 18 month old should be getting 11 hours of sleep at night. That would be 21 of 24 hours. So, you spend 3 hours per day and your DH spends, subtracting out the 2 hour nap, 7 hours per day. But you are the ones doing all the teaching and example setting? Equally naive.
    Before everyone gets really excited, the following is an opinion---
    And the people in the UK and US and wherever are equally wrong. It would be best if the actual parents stayed home with the child. Obviously not possible for both, so one of two.

Also, I think you can make an economic argument for two parents working and having to have some sort of childcare, be it DH, day care or grandparents. In which case, not ideal, but fine. However, the economic case has to be something more than affording the second BMW or 6,000th handbag or mommy or daddy feels that their career trumps having to care for a child. If they really feel that way, they should have just skipped the child.
    "blah, blah, blah. subtract this, add that and this is what you get: naive."

take a break from your moralising and stop being so arrogant that you think you are in any position to make judgements on how another person lives their life or raises their child. when I was young I barely saw my mother (she worked three jobs) and my father even less. I turned out fine.

and I certainly don't need no middle class know it all to teach me any lessons about living or raising children.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I would assume it highlights a low need for private cars (which is consistent with the fantastic public transport in HK) and that private cars are thus mainly used for status by high worth individuals rather than for "need".
    Correct. If 90-95% of the people can manage without them, it is hard to see why the other 5-10% actually "need" them.
    However, if it is part of your contract or you have the money to blow, more power to you. (But it still wouldn't be a need.)

From reading this old thread from 2009, I'm wondering if anything has been changed after these years.

I would like some insight on living in Tai Po.
    Is Hong Lok yuen over rated ?
    Anyone living in the Beverley Hills? Casa marina? Providence Bay? Forest hill?
    Is there any area that is walking distance to playgroup/ pre- nursery & kindergarten?
    Our growing family is in desperate need of more space yet affordable.
    Please share if you have any info.
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzyjelly:
    Our growing family is in desperate need of more space yet affordable.
    A village house is what you want, then, not one of the gated communities you mention.

I will suggest Ting Kok Road , Near Tai Po with alot of Cafe near there, is less then 30 min drive high way to Sha Tin, Near the beautiful hiking park.

hin23leung likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast