Empire vs CityLoft

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

the problem with 'PLANNING FOR THE WORST TO HAPPEN' is that it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. you have COMPLETELY the wrong attitude.

you are NOT expressing a few reservations about the move, you are coming up with EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE problem and dwelling on it. THAT is why you are not garnering any sympathy at all. think about it... you are coming to an expat forum and talking like this is the worst thing that could happen in your life... to people that HAVE packed up everything and moved here....MANY of us in worse situations than you.

comparatively speaking:

you are 25.... i was 22
    you have some friends here.... i knew NO ONE!!! NOT ONE PERSON!
    you speak the language.... I didn't
    you have are scared stiff about it.... i thought of it as an adventure and i blossomed.

IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ATTITUDE, you will do well. IF YOU HAVE YOUR ATTITUDE, you will fail miserably, fulfill your doomsday prophecy and run home with your tail between your legs.

you say you are scared of being lonely, so we suggest looking at a different kind of accomodation... you say, "oh, i might meet the wrong people!" YOU DON'T WANT TO SUCCEED.... at least THAT is the attitude you are protraying to us. the tone of your posts is VASTLY different to the one portrayed by the man who is moving with his wife and has 'concerns'... you don't have CONCERNS you have life-stifling FEARS....

ps> we have tried to help... suggesting you rethink your move because YOU don't sound like you WANT to live here... that being the case, then why put yourself through all of this?

Please take a cold shower

Quote Originally Posted by rottenlemon:
    THANK YOU! Geez... I don't see anything wrong with planning for the worst to happen. I'm just being realistic.

Now is that really necessary? Is this what people do during their free time? Go online and bully other people? Is this your excitement of the day? I mean you're entitled to your own opinion but there are other ways you can organize your words without being disrespectful to others.

You can be honest, but that is just pure disrespectful.
    Err... Rottenlemon?
    One of the things you will learn is... the best medicine is bitter. 苦口良药 If as you said, that you were "fluent in Chinese"... then these words are exactly good for you.

PDLM is NOT being disrespectful... he is PRACTICAL !
    Carang is correct that your Attitude needs adjustment. They both are giving you "good medicine"良药 with the comments on your attitude. MovingIn07 also.

How about your title of the post? "Moving to Hong Kong alone.... that sounds very depressing! "

Instead, try to say to yourself: ... that sounds very Exciting !

Secondly, no-one NEEDS to be "respectful" to you.... because you have done NOTHING to EARN the respect, in the first place!

When people ignored you, then you started to hijack other threads; and this attempt to grab attention by hijacking has shown that ... you are quite childish ( 小气 )
    So, go and re-read what MovingIn07, Carang &PDLM has said.

Your attitude needs to be improved... or else you will face hardship in getting a job too! Interviewers will pick up on your fears and reject you.

Football16 made a very good post at 31-07-2009, 02:36 PM
    >>The second issue is moving in the (often mistaken) belief that
    >>when you arrive in the new lands that people will be so happy to
    >>have you there that you will have a meteoric rise to the top
    >> despite the fact that your resume and work experiences
    >> simply weren't working in the old locale.

Yes, I am a girl too, and I came to HK with 3 bags:
    one suitcase
    one backpack
    and one BAG FULL of attitude.... so I was forced to change ASAP

I really hope that you accept the good words said here... the sooner you realise and improve, the better off you will be! Take a cold shower and think carefully.
    Last edited by LifeInHK; 02-08-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Sorry ar... typo

Quote Originally Posted by rottenlemon:
    I would like to meet the girls before I actually move in with them, so I'm planning on living in a service apartment for a month, look for work, and look for roomates for the 2nd month.

I am out on my on in Canada but I've always had a job, steady income, I know the geography, been here for so long, have a ton of friends. I'm scared because mainly I'm not that familiar with Hong Kong and I'm hoping to find better job opportunities there with my overseas experiences. God knows how long it'll take. This is what scares me the most (among others).

Rottenmelon: WHAT overseas experience?
    Living in Canada from age 10 to 25 doesn't count for much!
    You have worked for ... 5 years?
    You are NOT likely to find better jobs just by changing locations... Do you have some skills that are valuable?

Hong Kong is filled with "returnees" like yourself, all who are young (below age 27) and also looking for jobs. Would try the best to help, but .... you need to be POSITIVE, otherwise, how to help you?

I agree with Carang

Rottenlemon doesn't want good advice, she just wants people to nod in sympathy and say yes, how depressing it all is.

I came here when I was 20, not knowing anyone, or speaking the language, and with twenty quid. That could have been depressing but wasn't. I moved into a travellers' guesthouse and quickly made dozens of friends, many of whom I still know 16 years later. In fact I went out for a curry with four of them last Friday.

Life is full of unknown opportunities, and you can prosper if you have the right attitude. But equally, if you have a self-defeating mindset, you will quickly enter a downward spiral.

Hi there,

Do you know where i can get a 300sq ft place in sheung wan for around 4k a month? thanks

cheers,

steve

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you can get a 300 sq ft apartment in sai ying pun/sheng wan, it's chean, for around HK$4000

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3