Where to stay... the concrete or the green?

Wink Where to stay... the concrete or the green?

Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to HK in 2-3 weeks. I will be working in Kowloon City, my wife is an accountant and assumes she will end up working on HK Island. Our budget will be around HK$8,000. We are looking to get a 2 BR place. I have heard that Sai Kung, Hung Hum, Shatin are nice areas? We dont want to live smack bang in the middle of all the mayhem but not too far out that it will be a major journey everytime we leave the house! We dont mind somewhere with a bit of greenery. I have also heard that village houses are abit cheaper?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

8K a month is not a huge budget for a 2bdrm and it will limit your options. Hung Hom is very urban and not a lot of greenery there, Sai Kung is nice but a bit more challenging transport wise. The Sha Tin area is probably better since you have direct access to the train and many buses that go straight to the island, there's a bike path and the river which makes it a bit more open in places.

Village houses can be quite nice and you should be able to find something in your price range but that will likely mean a bit more commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowGweilo
    Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to HK in 2-3 weeks. I will be working in Kowloon City, my wife is an accountant and assumes she will end up working on HK Island. Our budget will be around HK$8,000. We are looking to get a 2 BR place. I have heard that Sai Kung, Hung Hum, Shatin are nice areas? We dont want to live smack bang in the middle of all the mayhem but not too far out that it will be a major journey everytime we leave the house! We dont mind somewhere with a bit of greenery. I have also heard that village houses are abit cheaper?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    For HK$8k, you won't find anything remotely comfortable in Shatin. Your best bet is around where I currently live in Ma On Shan, Sai Sha Road, which is countryside with mountain and sea views, Sai Kung is just 20 mins away by bus. Village houses 707sq ft, 2 bedrooms, go for around HK$8k a month. Its like 5-10 mins to Ma On Shan by minibus. Ma On Shan has a good shoppong centre for groceries.

Commuting to Central like I do by bus, (the 681) will take 50-60 mins, alternatively, she can catch the minibus to University or Wu Kai Sha train stations, that will also result in a one hour commute. Going to Kowloon City from Ma On Shan is okayish too catching the 85C bus from Ma On Shan and will take you around 30-40 mins.

Hope the above helps

Concrete - why else come to HK ?

i actually prefer the concrete in HK... no more damn hayfever in the summer!

Thanks for the advice for those of u who gave it!

much appreciated!