Where to keep bikes?

Where to keep bikes?

Hiya! If we bring our bikes (4) do apartments have secure bike lock-up spaces? Where do people keep their bikes? Assuming there is limited space in an apartment with 2 adults & 2 kids...Thanks!

Quote Original Post:
    Hiya! If we bring our bikes (4) do apartments have secure bike lock-up spaces? Where do people keep their bikes? Assuming there is limited space in an apartment with 2 adults & 2 kids...Thanks!
    We keep ours in the garage where we do have bike racks yes - but our friends keep theirs in their spare room so not sure if there is a standard! You might check with your building manager etc.

I've never seen apartments with bike lock ups in HK. As a matter of fact, I haven't even seen buildings with storage lockers though there must be some, it's definitely not common.

Everyone I know keep their bikes in their flat but I don't know anyone with 4 bikes. It really depends where you live, if you're not on the island or you can afford a large flat, it won't be a problem but if you're on a budget, it might be more challenging.

Keep in mind that Hong Kong is not a bike friendly city and there are very few places I would let kids ride a bike. There are some bike paths in outlying areas but on weekends they are packed with people that have no idea what they are doing. I find them more dangerous than the roads though it's less scary for less able cyclists. They're good weekdays or early mornings on the weekend. HK island is also quite hilly which makes it a bit more difficult.

jgl

Most people keep good bikes in their apartments. I have two in my living room, and I know people with 4-10 in spare rooms. The reason for keeping bikes indoors is both for security (HK had much less theft than major Western cities) but also to protect them against the extremely high humidity during summer which will otherwise rust out all the steel bolts on a bike.

As Giles mentions, HK is not a bike-friendly place. There are not many places that I'd consider safe for young kids to ride. Do you have any idea what area you will be living in?

We will probably live in DB, and I was hoping kids could ride bikes OK there?

Quote Original Post:
    We will probably live in DB, and I was hoping kids could ride bikes OK there?
    I've seen heaps of outdoor bike racks in DB - lots of cyclists there and much safer than rest of HK - so I assume also inside racks might exist? Although not likely to be much in the way of carparks in DB so perhaps outdoor racks are all there are?

jgl

DB is probably the best place in HK for bikes and kids. The lack of motorised traffic beyond the occasional slow bus and comedy golf cart is idea. I have no idea about bike racks there, worst case if you get a place there it is likely to at least have a balcony for storage.

MovingIn- where abouts do you see bike racks? The rare occasion I end up in DB with a bike, I end up locking mine to a railing or just leaving it out. I think that being in Hong Kong for several years has unfortunately desensitised my brain to bike-friendly facilities.

Last edited by jgl; 04-08-2009 at 03:59 PM.

I've seen them outside many of the flats ... the one I have in my head right now is the block of flats next to the start of our most recent hike - (on the left-hand-side about half way along that main drag behind the beach, next to the green hills) that definitely had bike racks - and I THOUGHT i had seem them near the plaza too but might have been imagining it....

At my place they have "underground parking" for bicycles but space is limited so they do some lottery every year and if you win you can park your bike there. (I am not kidding)

Else lock it to the rail outside, right in front of the sign where it says "No bicycle parking".