Notice Period

Notice Period

Hello,

I have a question about the notice period for termination of a lease.

My lease was a 2-year lease allowing termination/rent adjustment by either party after the first year. The 2 year lease period ends on 26 August 2009.

The lease states that there is a 1-month notice period for termination, however it is unclear whether 1-month notice only applies if early termination is intended (ie before 26 August 2009) or whether it is still required by 26 July 2009?

I'd be grateful for yout feedback on this as I assume there may be a simple answer.

Thanks again!

Loz

It would apply only if early termination by either party is intended. If no party has given any notice till 26th July 2009 then around that day, you / your landlord should contact the agent to renew the contract. That gives you / LL a chance to renegotiate the terms or leave it as it but just change the dates etc.

Based on the result of re-negotiation, you canthen decide whether to give a notice or continue the tenancy.

As per the contract your lease expires on the date as mentioned in the contract. No notice is required.

as your lease is up at the end of the month, negotiation should have started already in my opinion, u shouldn't leave it till the end, what happens if your LL suddenly tells u too move or says if u wanna keep on renting then i will increase your rent by 30-50%. I usually start negotiations 2 months before my lease is up, that leaves me with plenty of time to find some place else if things dont go smoothly.

thanks very much for your comments guys. I thiink im ok, but as suggested in future it doesn't hurt to cover all bases to avoid potential cofusion/grief.
    cheers!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Usable space versus Listed space?

good luck............

Last edited by ABC(D)inHK; 02-09-2009 at 05:21 AM.