Location advice please

Closed Thread

Location advice please

Hi,

I will be moving to HK in a few months and am looking for good areas to live in. I will be working in Central, nights mainly. Would like something close by so no need for a car. Close to Public transport would be good also. Budget is up to 12000 pm. 1 or 2 bed.

All information and suggestions appreciated

I or rather, nobody here can give you 'all' the information but let me try to give as much as I can:

Kennedy Town is definitely a greatarea to consider - you'll get a good 600 - 650 sq. ft. 2 bedroom flat for $12,000 p.m. Even though it does not have an MTR yet, there are at least 8 different buses going to Central. The travel time is around 15-20 min. Full of shops, supermarkets, eating joints (mostly local, though). Great sea views. Library, post office, parks - all nearby.

You could consider Sheung Wan as well - closer to central than KT but I personally don't like it as much since it smells of dried seafood all the time.

If you love partying, night life, pubbing etc., Wan Chaicould be the area for you - again about 15 min. from central but you'll get a much smaller place compared to KT since itself is like a small commercial hub.

Hey Thanks for the reply, I'll look into the area on line. Sounds good. I'll be over for a visit in a couple of months to suss things out and will have a proper look then...
    If I were to consider a house share for the first 12 months till I get settled, would this area still be an option or would I be able to get something a little better facilities wise? Like say Gyms pools etc

Thanks again rapid jap

I don't know if Sheung Wan is an option for flat-sharing / serviced apartments but KT definitely still is. Here are some buildings you might want to consider in KT:

-Manhattan Heights - These are serviced apartments with great facilities (pool, gym, clubhouse etc.). Very popular among expats. 7-10 min. taxi ride from central.

-Merton - Good for flat-share. Comes with all the facilties you're looking for. Pretty new construction. Expat friendly.

-Belchers - Awesome property. No apartment here is less than $25,000 a month but if you find a flatmate, you're set. Superb facilities, on top of a shopping mall. It kinda' combines 2 areas - KT and Pok Fu Lam so your choice of buses from Central is endless! Very accessible and again, very popular among expats.

Hope this help!

Actually, saw a Belcher's flat online on Centanet going for 20k/mth

Thanks again for all the help.. really appreciate it