View Poll Results: Would you consider living in Mui Wo?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, absolutely.

27 39.13%
  • Possibly.

21 30.43%
  • Probably not.

11 15.94%
  • Never!

10 14.49%
Like Tree4Likes

Mui Wo and Living in the Country

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by siu_man_wong:
    Do you mean, if I park frequently near the ferry or like every day chances are I will get a ticket every 2-6 month.
    If so, the odd is not that bad.
    Sorry to ask, how much is a parking ticket in Lantau. I am in US now and plan to move back to Hong Kong.
    Yes. A ticket is $320. If your car isn't registered to drive on Lantau you can incur a further fine of $450. That is just a case of applying for a Lantau permit once you are a resident.

I used to pay $1000 a month to park in the car park. After a silly dispute one month over renewing my monthly parking I decided to no longer use their service and just park where ever. I have since had maybe 3 tickets in the last 2 years.

Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    Yes. A ticket is $320. If your car isn't registered to drive on Lantau you can incur a further fine of $450. That is just a case of applying for a Lantau permit once you are a resident.

I used to pay $1000 a month to park in the car park. After a silly dispute one month over renewing my monthly parking I decided to no longer use their service and just park where ever. I have since had maybe 3 tickets in the last 2 years.
    I would suggest that you get rid of your car entirely. You don't need it in Hong Kong, and Mui Wo is a bicycle village - too many cars/trucks/buses clogging the limited spaces already.
    siu_man_wong likes this.

Thanks Mui Wo - I'll definately do that.

Oh, but hold on, I don't live in Mui Wo or anywhere near public transport and I can't cycle to work. Cycling to the ferry pier would involve either dirt tracks or nearly an hour by road up and down some very steep hills. Not best attempted in a suit in the summer heat of Hong Kong - and makes getting the kids to and from school a wee bit tricky. What do you call those bikes with 3 seats. Like a tandem + 1?

Damn, back to car ownership then.

Last edited by HKNewBi; 12-03-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    bryant.english likes this.

Are cars from HK allowed to enter Mui Wo, say, visitors etc.? if so, how do you arrange permits etc.

To get a permit you need to apply to the Transport Department and prove you have a residence on Lantau (utility bill, rental contract etc). Takes around 6 weeks and lasts up to a year.

You can apply for one off (ie removal trucks) also from the Transport Department.

If you don't have a permit you can't progress to South Lantau from Tung Chung and the police do regularly inspect permits (a fine and you will have to turn around).

If you do have a lantau permit you can apply for Lantau only car tax which means you get an 80% rebate on your vehicle tax. But you can't cross the bridge off Lantau and the tax disc has a green diagonal stripe across it so denote Lantau only tax.

chuckster007 likes this.

After a silly dispute one month over renewing my monthly parking I decided to no longer use their service and just park where ever. I have since had maybe 3 tickets in the last 2 years.
    I notice this more and more in the city too, so it seems the police have simply stopped enforcing parking rules. Great if you have a car, you can park on any pavements you like; not so great if you're a pedestrian.

Right. But in Mui Wo you don't need to park on the pavement. There is enough space on the streets.

There is a pay car park opposite the ferry pier -$6 per hour or $1000 for a monthly pass.

The car park PDLM is referring to is free of charge but usually difficult to find spaces. Usually dependent on how busy the Police have been ticketing the rest of Mui Wo.

You can park all around the ferry for free but expect to pick up a ticket about once every 2 - 6 months from the Police. They usually put warning notices on cars prior to ticketing after which every one tries to cram into the free car park.
    Is the Mui Wo Pier Car Park, just opposite the Ferry Pier and next to the bus terminal, free of charge, or does it require a subscription?

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    Right. But in Mui Wo you don't need to park on the pavement. There is enough space on the streets.
    Is it generally still free street side parking in Mui Wo (or rather just not enforced parking restrictions)? I see no evidence of anyone paying to use the Octopus pay-for-parking spaces!

How do you get a parking season ticket for the Mui Wo Ferry Pier car park? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Is the Mui Wo Pier Car Park, just opposite the Ferry Pier and next to the bus terminal, free of charge, or does it require a subscription?

Is it generally still free street side parking in Mui Wo (or rather just not enforced parking restrictions)? I see no evidence of anyone paying to use the Octopus pay-for-parking spaces!

How do you get a parking season ticket for the Mui Wo Ferry Pier car park? Thanks
    The enclosed Mui Wo Ferry carpark costs about $6 per hour, or if you can get there early enough, park for free along the dock. There is another free carpark behind the shops, which is also limited parking but is free. No thanks to all of the construction going on, Mui Wo parking is becoming less and less available. That's why, I almost end up driving to Citygate TC, pay the $13 pe hr parking and take the ( cheaper) MTR into Central.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    The enclosed Mui Wo Ferry carpark costs about $6 per hour, or if you can get there early enough, park for free along the dock. There is another free carpark behind the shops, which is also limited parking but is free. No thanks to all of the construction going on, Mui Wo parking is becoming less and less available. That's why, I almost end up driving to Citygate TC, pay the $13 pe hr parking and take the ( cheaper) MTR into Central.
    Can you get a season ticket for the Mui Wo Ferry Car Park? Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast