Living in Tuen Mun

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Johan,

It seems that Tuen Mun is more south than Yuen long. I would therefore assume that it is closer from Admiralty (except if the buses go up and then down...). Am I right or wrong?
    That it's more Chinese than expat is ok for me. It has been 3 years that I am in Macao and I got use to a chinese environment :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Johan,

It seems that Tuen Mun is more south than Yuen long. I would therefore assume that it is closer from Admiralty (except if the buses go up and then down...). Am I right or wrong?
    That it's more Chinese than expat is ok for me. It has been 3 years that I am in Macao and I got use to a chinese environment :-)
    you're right, but TM is at the end of the KCR, YL is a fair few stops (13min) closer to Central.

if u look at a map, by road it is almost equidistant to TM or YL...

buses from Tuen Mun to HK Island mostly take Tuen Mun Road along the south coast, as well as most buses to Kowloon (61M, 52X, 58X etc.) There is also talk of a ferry service to Central being started up again, but wait and see for that one...

I still think your best bet is 962, 962S, 962B, 962X as all these start in Tuen Mun and stop at Admiralty (and beyond), though 962B takes Castle Peak Road to Sam Tseng and includes a few more stops as well as some express buses from Yuen Long that also pass thru Tuen Mun and stop at Town Centre

i would count on 40 mins to Admiralty for sure. and about HK$18.

If you are in the city(?) centre you can catch West Rail to the nearest Underground station and then on to Admiralty. Alternatively, 962 is a good bus to the island and there are regular minibuses that are always good for raising the blood pressure. The most important thing is that the 962 operates a night bus so you can get home late after any excesses that may occur.

I work in Tuen Mun with a heap of expats. We carpool generally and it takes about 40mins from Central. On the train its exactly 1 hour from Tuen Mun to Central. The KCR goes every 4-5 mins and every time I have been on it it has been really quiet. To me it feels like the back and beyond but then you head to to shopping centre and it is huge and manic, it feels way more crowded there than it ever feels in central. Lots of the staff here live in Tuen Mun and they all seem to like it. It's quite green out here though, the beach at the Gold Coast is pretty nice and there is a really good restaurant in the shopping centre there.

We live in Tin Shui Wai, and would be very interested in info on decent places to eat and drink in the area; we are struggling to find anywhereother than very basic cafes. We where in Yuen Long to get our China visa and ate in the New York Café Bar place but couldn’t find much else.

Thanks

Barbara

Some buses that serve Tuen Moon and the Island for reference.

960 Tuen Mun (KIN SANG) -- Wan Chai (FERRY PIER) $18.2
    961 Tuen Mun (SHAN KING) -- Wan Chai (HK CONVENTION CENTRE) $18.2
    962 Tuen Mun (Lung Mun Oasis) -- Causeway Bay (Moreton Terrace) $18.2
    962A Tuen Mun (Yuet Wu Villa) -> Admiralty $18.2 Morning Peak Only, Express
    962B Tuen Mun (Chi Lok Fa Yuen) -- Admiralty (West) $18.2 Morning & Evening Peak Only
    962P Tuen Mun (Lung Mun Oasis) -> Causeway Bay (Moreton Terrace) $18.2 Morning Peak Only, Express
    962S Tuen Mun (Chi Lok Fa Yuen) -> Causeway Bay (Moreton Terrace) $18.2 Morning Peak Only
    962X Tuen Mun (Lung Mun Oasis) -- Admiralty (West) $18.2 Express
    N962 Tuen Mun (Lung Mun Oasis) -- Causeway Bay (Moreton Terrace) $27.3 Overnight

Barbara30, cool thats my favorite hangout.. though personaly i still find it hard to pay 30hkd for a cup of coffe thats half the size of 10hkd cup back home.
    But i agree, there is a very limited supply of good cafes here in the E.NT
    But i do know where they serve THE best chocolate cake in HK!..though its not in NT but in mong kok.

Do tell...

But i do know where they serve THE best chocolate cake in HK!..though its not in NT but in mong kok.[/QUOTE]

I find the chocolate fudge cake in pizza express, seibu pacific place very hard to beat.