Did anyone score their flats without agents?

Closed Thread

Did anyone score their flats without agents?

I've actually posted my situation in another section but it belongs more appropriately in this forum.

I'm looking for a place to rent in Shatin City One, and I have no idea if my expectations are realistic. I'm looking to spend $4000-$6000 on rent, not familiar with Hong Kong, but I do like the neighbourhood (City One) very very much. Is it unrealistic for my price range?

Also, I've dealt with several real estate agents in another area and I had the feeling that they deliberately refrained from showing me the cheaper properties. All of the properties they showed me were way outside of my price range. Did anyone land on their flats without agents? How did you manage to do that?

For my price range, where else would I be able to find a decent place to rent? (Decent as in larger than a shoebox). Thanks so much for your help.

There are lots of online sites to finding landlords looking for tenants - geoexpat for example! - there is also gumtree. This way you avoid the estate agent commission, but you have to do a lot more legwork and you have to trust the landlord. Also, in Shatin the market is mainly for Chinese, so Chinese sites would be more useful.

I found where we currently live (not a flat and not a rental, so only slightly comparable) by searching various websites similar to geoexpat (actually I found this on the main competitor to geoexpat so I won't mention the name ) and there were rentals too on there by owners. But quite a small number compared with the number that agents have on offer, so you make the pool of possible places smaller if you refuse to use an agent. Having said that, I found the agents that I did use when househunting to be infuriating and showed me plenty of crap that was outside what I asked to see .... so you are not alone!

inform agent that you are not interested to view the flat if outside the range. try gohome.com.hk

At between 4-6K you will get nothing but a shoebox in CityOne. A quick look on centamap shows the cheapest asking rental there is 6.3K for 395sqf. Suggest you look further out in NT.

I've been able to find both places I've lived in directly through the landlord.

The agents I've tried to use when I was flat hunting were an absolute nightmare and in the end I just found it easier to go direct to the landlord. There are various websites that advertise direct rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Katiedot:
    I've been able to find both places I've lived in directly through the landlord.

The agents I've tried to use when I was flat hunting were an absolute nightmare and in the end I just found it easier to go direct to the landlord. There are various websites that advertise direct rentals.
    Would you mind give me the website addresses? Really appreciate it.

One of my friends suggested that I go to the management directly and ask if any owners are leasing their units, and get in touch with them directly that way. Does that work? Or does it kinda go against the rules?

for that amount u can get 1 floor of a village house 400 sq/ft, 35-40 mins to central by MTR around my place, does it have to be Sha Tin.