What's with all these newfangled showers?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What's with all these newfangled showers?

The flat I have at the moment (600sq ft in mid levels) has a decent sized bathroom with an ENORMOUS shower, but no bath tub. I just put that down to a quirk of my landlord's who values contemporary design (and it is a gorgeous shower, walk in and larger than your average tub).

My lease is up and I'm looking at moving but for some reason all I'm finding is loads of modern flats with large, walk in showers that are at least as big as a bath tub, but no bath tub.

Is it cheaper to install just a shower instead of a bath even when there is the space to do so, or is this just the latest fad in contemporary architecture and I'll just have to deal with it?

I don't think there's much market for bath tubs these days. In Asia the shower is the way pretty much everyone does it.

(Baths, where they exist, are something you do after you have had a shower to get clean!)

I'd prefer a shower over the bathtub I have now. The tub is too small to bathe in and it's a hassle to clean the edges.

LOL- we are having the opposite problem. I've seen about 30 apartments and only 3 with walk in showers vs shower over the bath which is just not the same, especially if you're tall.

Nah, just that Hong Kong lifestyle means a lot people prefer showers which are much more economical in terms of water usage too.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Nah, just that Hong Kong lifestyle means a lot people prefer showers which are much more economical in terms of water usage too.
    Since when has anyone in Hong Kong worried about water usage or the environment? They should, but they don't. I can guarantee you that no local has installed a shower because it "uses less water". Some of the "rain" type showerheads use alot more water than you think.

Showers are a lot quicker and you don't have to soak in your own filth. :P

Tub is troublesome to clean.
    And if the whole family have to use a same one, it's kind of embarrassing and weird.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

I was at the Taj Airport Garden in Colombo and my almost 200sqft bathroom all in black tiles had just a hint of a depression in the floor to siginfy the shower area as the six shower heads are hidden.
    I'm working on building my own black room here and plan to contact the hotel to get their shower supplier to handle the plumbing.
    With all these overhead shower gadjets the only way I would condone a bathtub would be if it were a jacuzzi

Shower is better for health and sanitary reasons. Ring of soap scum around the tube. Just imagine how gross it would be for a guest if not cleaned. Plus some weirdo could be leaving body fluids in the tub. For health reasons would never use a tub at a hotel.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast