Relocating a kitchen in a village house

Closed Thread

Relocating a kitchen in a village house

I am considering to remodel my kitchen. It currently sits in the very back of a typical village house. Unfortunately, right next to the bedrooms. I'd like to move it to the front in the living room as a open kitchen. My biggest worry is trying to set up the gas, water and gray water pipes. They all currently run down the outside in the back, hence the location of the kitchen and the bathroom. I'd prefer not to run the pipes along the outside of the house because it would have to reach around the entire length. I can't reach through the inner wall because of the stairs. Has anyone ever tried to lay the pipes through the floor? Would that cause structural problems? This is on the 1st floor. Can anyone with construction experience offer advice?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyinhk1:
    This is on the 1st floor.
    need some clarification, are u on the ground floor or the middle section of a village as sometimes the locals call the ground floor as 1st floor.

If I understand the OPs post correctly, then it should be doable as I did exactly this in my new place.

The builder drills a channel 1" deep by 2" wide from the existing outlet where outside meets inside and lays copper pipes to the new location of the kitchen.

I don't live in a village house though.

Ken

what ken said!

i had it done in an apartment so hopefully it would be the same whether you were in the ground floor or first floor. but you would have to retile the floor otherwise it may look quite messy.

and use good quality piping... you dont want it to get damaged a few months later and then have to bring the tiles up again!

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    and use good quality piping...
    Would add, use a good quality builder as well!