Commutable "green/open" places to live

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

just a suggestion. it aint no 5th avenue and central park but this is hong kong. HV is green, it is open. it is commutable. not only the race course is green, either side of the valley is pretty green. yes, there is a 8' high concrete wall surrounding the race course, but at least wong nai chong road is planted with big old trees.

I'm sorry, i meant 15 mins on the mtr. I assumed if OP can accept 45 mins, he can spend 30 mins from happy valley to get to the MTR. The #10 bus works quite well to central.

I spend a lot of time in my apartment looking over the race course so it feels very green and open when you live there. As for race nights, thats the sacrifice i that. its not that bad. i quite enjoy having tourists in my neighborhood every wednesday night.

Last edited by thundacatchergo; 24-09-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Happy Valley is NOT green compared to various other places that are just as commutable - all those mentioned by Skyhook in his excellent post in fact. To tell somebody who is not from HK that HV is "green" is just ludicrous. The OP's post was very clear about what he was looking for and I cannot see HV fitting this. I think if you have lived in HK for a long time, or lived predominantly on the Island, perhaps you forget that there are other places out there!

Try park island in Ma wan, very accesible by bus train and ferry

image courtesy of google.

again, just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Happy Valley is NOT green compared to various other places that are just as commutable - all those mentioned by Skyhook in his excellent post in fact. To tell somebody who is not from HK that HV is "green" is just ludicrous. The OP's post was very clear about what he was looking for and I cannot see HV fitting this. I think if you have lived in HK for a long time, or lived predominantly on the Island, perhaps you forget that there are other places out there!
    That is simply not true, especially as one goes up the hill. Toward Jardine's look-out and in the direction of Stubbs Road there is lots and lots of green - but even off Blue Pool Road there are houses/buildings with trees.
    HV might still not be exactly what the OP is looking for, but there is plenty of green to be found - just got to know where to look...

I refer back to the OP's original description:

"I am happy to commute about 45 minutes into Central by ferry/metro if it means that I get somewhere a bit more tranquil and less claustrophobic with a bit of greenery thrown in. "

I cannot interpret "tranquil" and "less claustrophobic" in any way that includes the scenery in the excellent photo shared by thundachatchergo .... the key point being all those tower blocks behind (and around) the race course... the picture of course being not a "race day" when the whole place is lit up by bright lights and FULL of TENS OF THOUSANDS of people ... in what way does this invoke "tranquil" or "less claustrophobic"??????

In order to get to CWB MTR station (one of the most crowded and least tranquil spots in the entire territory), the poor OP is going to have to navigate down through the concrete jungle and into CWB ... I'm sorry - it just does NOT FIT what he asked for!

It's possible, obviously, that when he arrives he will decide he does not need tranquil and likes the bustle; that he does not want the hassle of a 45 min commute etc etc ... but I really think we do newbies a complete disservice by not thinking about what they are asking for in their posts! They may change their minds later. But offering up HV to this request is wrong and we don't do this forum any services by giving crap advice.

Mat

"I am happy to commute about 45 minutes into Central by ferry/metro if it means that I get somewhere a bit more tranquil and less claustrophobic with a bit of greenery thrown in. "

Moving...with all due respect HV does provide such tranquility (ie lots of low rise building with lots of balconies and not much traffic...) and it ain't claustrophobic if you have an open view (which is possible when you live further up as Beachball suggest).

Note also the "bit of greenery" in the OP post...a bit means a bit...not necessarly a full hiking trail at his door step....I love GoldCoast, Sai Kung, Sham Sheng...but HV can have a bit of greenery too.

OP, depening on your budget, South HK island has also plenty to offer

My favourite location on HK Island is Shek O, as it has a very strong sense of community, not indifferent to Sai Kung in many ways.

The environment there is pure to what the OP requested, if they love enjoying their weekends, taking in the pleasant environment, which helps forget about the weeks hectic pressures. A great method of escaping the city in what is one of HK's prettiest area's... In my opinion. More than worth the 30 minute taxi ride to Central . Big Wave Bay / Shek O beach is a few minutes walk, plus if you open your windows or balcony doors, you can hear the waves crash on the shore. Beats hearing traffic drone, no contest !

Some photo's that other people have taken in the Sheko O Big Wave Bay area > http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Shek+O

[email protected] if you want more info regarding what's available in the area.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 25-09-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    My favourite location on HK Island is Shek O, as it has a very strong sense of community, not indifferent to Sai Kung in many ways.
    [Pedant]I believe you mean not unlike.[/Pedant]

Well I hope the OP comes back and comments on our suggestions - particularly after he arrives and sees these places in real life.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast