Commutable "green/open" places to live

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Major problem with Shek O is that it is a bit of a commute, and going through the single lane roads (one minor roadwork/collision and you're stuffed) and Aberdeen tunnel is an absolute be-arch!!! Cutting through east Island corridor isn't much better either!

Last edited by ray98; 25-09-2009 at 12:33 PM.

If you leave just before the peak hour rush, leaving home at around 7ish you wont have any problems, leave after 7:30am and you will suffer time delay's.

Same with getting home, if you leave after 7pm, the commute home will be pretty smooth sailing.

Sai Kung was no different in that regard, the difference in getting up 30 minutes earlier in the morning made a huge impact on how pleasant your commute experience was/is. Get up earlier . If you live in a nice location, getting up in the morning with the right frame of mind shouldn't be a problem.

Just for the exercise I have provided a map to give a perspective to just how SMALL HK is .

I know a few people that live in Shek O, and they seem to cope fine and manage to get to and from work in 30 minutes, so I don't agree with what's being said unless you are tuned to leaving for work at the very last minute... I won't get into that HK local habit, as I think it's really nerdy to live so close to work, like some sort of Borg slave.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 25-09-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    If you leave just before the peak hour rush, leaving home at around 7ish you wont have any problems, leave after 7:30am and you will suffer time delay's.

Same with getting home, if you leave after 7pm, the commute home will be pretty smooth sailing.
    Not everyone wants 13 hour work days!

But isn't Shek O very expensive to rent? I always just assumed so without really investigating... If not then I'll certainly be looking over there since I don't need to commute anywhere any more.

just what I was thinking...13+ hour work days doesn't leave much time to enjoy the life your seeking does it?

It's a huge assumption to say that 13 hours spent in Central is all work. I ususally follow a similar strategy on the days I go into Admiralty - leave early and come back late - but that normally includes some eating, some going to the gym, sometimes a game of squash or a spot of shopping .....

Agree with Moving 100%.

Following on with the discussion....

Shek O is within the OP's budget for a 707ft2 village house floor. No problems there.

PDLM
    You'll get something pretty enjoyable for $20 - $30K, very likely including a roof terrace, balcony. Living off one of the lane ways, as you don't need car access.

And timklip, we don't know what career the OP falls under, nobody knows but them, re what hours they will be expected to perform.

The OP will find the best fit location when they get here and like anything, it is all relative to what is important to them.. Some of us will sacrifice a little commute grind, to enjoy a much better quality home life, negating the bar drain, and there will be some that choose to live above a bar. It depends on your priorities in life...

As long as people are happy, that is all that matters in the end.

Last edited by Skyhook; 25-09-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    PDLM
    You'll get something pretty enjoyable for $20 - $30K, very likely including a roof terrace, balcony. Living off one of the lane ways, as you don't need car access.
    Er, OK, thanks. That's more expensive than the mid-levels for 700 sq.ft, so I guess I'll pass.

Sky, as a regular driver to work, driving on the Gloucester Rd after work, there is no hope on earth that past 7pm to the Aberdeen tunnnel is plain sailing - it's usually chocca until at least 9-10 pm and worse on race days. And getting out of the house at 7'ish in the morning? That's so much pressure considering that you often have to work past 8pm, so by the time you have finished eating, it's nearer 9:30 before you start the commute home, so say get home around 10:30. Then, chill time, shower and bed takes you to midnight. Then to get out of the house at 7'ish, you're looking to getting up around 6:30 - to me, I'd rather die than live those hours. Much better option is the Ma On Shan area I reckon, no more than a one hour commute if you play safe and MTR/KCR/minibus it. Large expat community in nearby Sai Kung, top notch swimming pool in Ma On Shan complete with 50m pool and waterslides, top class area for BBQs and golf driving ranges, dead ace running tracks for jogging, and conveniently located for occassional trips to Shenzhen for cheap food/massage/shopping/golf.

And as for the west NT, doesn't impress me, after travelling to and from work for 2 weeks on the 962, some trips taking over 2 hours from Tuen Mun, I hate the place, and it's proximity to the "Depressed Town of Hong Kong" - Tin Shui Wai and all its social problems, and the fact a lot of bad ass traffic accidents occur there too frequently - the place is like cursed!!! MI07 - yeah I know, go ahead, red dot me again!

Last edited by ray98; 25-09-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    It's a huge assumption to say that 13 hours spent in Central is all work. I ususally follow a similar strategy on the days I go into Admiralty - leave early and come back late - but that normally includes some eating, some going to the gym, sometimes a game of squash or a spot of shopping .....
    not much of an assumption when the orginal statement referred to 'to and from work'...and she DOES state working til 10-11pm...did you even read the original post skyhook?
    Last edited by timklip; 25-09-2009 at 02:18 PM.

I think we have successfully scared off the OP from this forum. We can all keep our suggestions to ourselves.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast