Commutable "green/open" places to live

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo
    I think we have successfully scared off the OP from this forum. We can all keep our suggestions to ourselves.
    Nah, in London it's only 7:30 am, probably just about to get up now

Tim

What time is the OP going to start work ? Do any of us know ?

Maybe he/she starts work at 10:30am in the morning ? which would be a very easy commute to work, after the peak hour rush ? That negates any traffic concerns, if this is the case.

Getting home after 11pm would also be a breeze home by cab, very quiet roads and a complete lack of traffic at that time of night.

If the OP is going to work late hours, wouldn't it benefit them most, by having a very pleasant living environment, during the days they are not working, away from the concrete jungle that he/she spent most of their time in, as a bit of a break?

I am only trying to help. It's all good

Last edited by Skyhook; 25-09-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Nah, from another post, I think (if I remember correectly) it's a big 4 accounting firm (so work location is CKC, IFC, Prince's Bldg or PP1) probably AD grade, official hours 8:30 to 5:30, which in practice means 9:00-9:15 to whenever. I think going to work is worse than getting home from work.

Going to work, your head is spinning with planning your day and work issues, at night, if I am not driving, I am dozing off on the one hour commute back to Ma On Shan on the 681

For the record, I think you have been very very very very very helpful!!!

Last edited by ray98; 25-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    Getting home after 11pm would also be a breeze home by cab, very quiet roads and a complete lack of traffic at that time of night.
    Ehrrr all trips at night by cab ?!?!...quite an expensive way of travelling....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Ehrrr all trips at night by cab ?!?!...quite an expensive way of travelling....
    So is spending $1000 or 2/3 a night on eating & drinking in LKF and Soho..

People do it and think that's normal..lol

But spending $300 a day on taxi is expensive ?

Very interesting .
    Last edited by Skyhook; 25-09-2009 at 04:29 PM.

$300/day is probably cheaper than the all-in cost (parking spaces, fuel, servicing, depreciation, etc) of running a car, plus you can drink.

Having a car in HK will almost always be a luxury rather than the cheapest way of getting around.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    So is spending $1000 or 2/3 a night on eating & drinking in LKF and Soho..

People do it and think that's normal..lol

But spending $300 a day on taxi is expensive ?

Very interesting .
    Have I ever said I spend 1.000 HKD a night in dining?

300/day times 22 working days a month that is a nice 6.6K/month....I'd rather take the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Have I ever said I spend 1.000 HKD a night in dining?

300/day times 22 working days a month that is a nice 6.6K/month....I'd rather take the bus.
    ADs in a big 4 earn around HK$70k-90k/mth, sometimes a lot more.....

And yes, driving in from Ma On Shan everyday cost me around HK$300 in parking, tunnel fees and petrol...., but at least I can swear at all the crappy drivers and that helps me relieve stress and tentsion....
    Last edited by ray98; 25-09-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by ray98
    ADs in a big 4 earn around HK$70k-90k/mth, sometimes a lot more.....
    And? what's your point?

I am in Banking (FO), earn pretty well my life but will never spend 300 a day on taxi - I take MTR like the average Joe and i am happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98

And as for the west NT, doesn't impress me, after travelling to and from work for 2 weeks on the 962, some trips taking over 2 hours from Tuen Mun, I hate the place, and it's proximity to the "Depressed Town of Hong Kong" - Tin Shui Wai and all its social problems, and the fact a lot of bad ass traffic accidents occur there too frequently - the place is like cursed!!! MI07 - yeah I know, go ahead, red dot me again!
    I've never red-dotted you. I don't live in Tuen Mun and probably would not want to - GC is much nicer. I think the maximum time I have EVER spent on a 962 in rushhour was 1hr 15 mins - but normally if I travel in peak hour I get the residents bus which is substantially faster. Of course every so often there is an accident on the freeway which causes problems (about 3 times I have experienced, in 2 years here) but that's the same as the occasional problem with the MTR (which I have seen on the news a few times). Life is never perfect!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast