Commutable "green/open" places to live

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

But spending $300 a day on taxi is expensive ?
    :
    I think so! I could cab it home every night for that amount but have only made the trip from GC to the office in a cab maybe 5 times since moving here ... usually when carrying something really huge and cumbersome! I don't see the point. It's rare that the journey by bus is very long and a cab only saves maybe 10-20 mins, since traffic is what slows the residents bus (does not stop) which is same for a cab.....

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I've never red-dotted you. I don't live in Tuen Mun and probably would not want to - GC is much nicer. I think the maximum time I have EVER spent on a 962 in rushhour was 1hr 15 mins - but normally if I travel in peak hour I get the residents bus which is substantially faster. Of course every so often there is an accident on the freeway which causes problems (about 3 times I have experienced, in 2 years here) but that's the same as the occasional problem with the MTR (which I have seen on the news a few times). Life is never perfect!
    Agree with Moving here. The longest I have ever been on the 962 is probably around 1h20. Lived in the aread during 3 years and had probably around 15 times issues on the freeway...

Average trips were more around 45 minutes.

When I had the taxi comment in mind, I had the journey to Shek O in mind... It is a very winding twisty narrow road the last 15 - 20 minutes of the journey, a Taxi just makes it a bit less nauseating if you suffer motion sickness.

I agree that the bus to GC from central etc is great, when I have used it its been fab, on the few occasions I managed to get a seat.

Sai kung is also pretty easy if you get the 1A mini bus from Choi Hung MTR, essentially takes the same amount of time as driving.

Some area's are just locations to sleep, shower etc , some area's allow you to become part of the greater community, it really boils down to, do you like an area where your neighbours know you by first name and say hi when you walk by while they wash their car, or do you just want to pass life by not taking an interest in the people that live near you...

I bet very few of you know all of the people on your apartment block floor...

I know everybody by first name in the first 8 houses nearest ours, and we have only lived here since june . We were welcomed by the neighbours, to me that means a lot about the nature of the people out here, compared to a lot of high rise area's of HK, that people wont even give you eye contact in the lift.

Just my own experiences, as I am sure we all have differing ones .

WOW - thanks everyone for all your feedback. Apologies for the delay in responding, I am currently travelling with limited internet access.

No, I'm definitely not scared off by your posts. On the contrary, looks like there are some awesome places to live in HK. I am very appreciative of the pics - it certainly brings the locales to life.

The commutes you have described do not seem a problem - can't be worse than 45 mins on the tube fighting to get on a carriage with my face stuck in someone's armpit (!). I suspect I will have to be in the office by about 8am but could get in earlier if that means beating the traffic.

I am extremely encouraged by these posts and am looking forward to moving to HK. Fingers crossed that my transfer negotiations go well then I can start actively contacting agents etc!

Globetrotting, when you get to Honkers and want to see what its like to live in village in Clear Water Bay give me a holler. Just bring the beers.

Cheers wtbhotia - I wouldn't say no to that!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I've never red-dotted you. I don't live in Tuen Mun and probably would not want to - GC is much nicer. I think the maximum time I have EVER spent on a 962 in rushhour was 1hr 15 mins - but normally if I travel in peak hour I get the residents bus which is substantially faster. Of course every so often there is an accident on the freeway which causes problems (about 3 times I have experienced, in 2 years here) but that's the same as the occasional problem with the MTR (which I have seen on the news a few times). Life is never perfect!
    Wasn't there another accident just yesterday on the Tuen Mun highway? Worries me the place is cursed - especially as I got flashed once for doing 80kmh on a 70kmh stretch

never heard that one before...'cursed' because you were speeding? lol

Hi guys,

You all seem to be really helpful on this thread.

I just arrived in HK from London and am looking for a permanent place to live in. I work near Citibank Tower in Central, and am considering a few places:
    1) Repulse/Discovery Bay
    2) Mid-Levels
    3) Sheung Wan
    4) Central
    5) Kowloon
    6) Olympic

It is terribly difficult for me to decide. Can you guys perhaps help me prioritize the different criterias? I am looking for a size of 650 - 800 sqft.

How long is the commute from Discovery/Repulse Bay to Central, and is this available 24/7?

Like Globetrotter, I will probably be working long hours.

While I like Mid-Levels for the convenience, the apartments are old and they are certainly very pricey. All new builds on the other hand have extremely low useable area.

Sigh, feeling real upset about my living arrangement (or lack of) in HK.

Thanks a bunch in advance for your advice.

What's your budget?

There are many new apartments in mid-levels, but you pay for the convenience.

And Repulse Bay and Discovery Bay are about 30km apart in opposite directions from Central, so I've no idea why you're lumping them together.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast