Commutable "green/open" places to live

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Commutable "green/open" places to live

Hi everyone

To the extent these places exist (!), I should be grateful for any suggestions on where I would be able to get an apartment with:
    - some outdoor space (terrace or balcony with room for some alfresco dining for two);
    - minimum of 750 sq ft usable space.

I am happy to commute about 45 minutes into Central by ferry/metro if it means that I get somewhere a bit more tranquil and less claustrophobic with a bit of greenery thrown in.

I will work will about 10-11pm at night and the ferry/metro will need to run till then.

I currently live in Wapping, London in a river front apartment with a med sized balcony for about GBP1500 pcm so am hoping something similar will exist in HK for about the same price. Is that remotely realistic?

Any tips gratefully received.

Discovery Bay and Clearwater Bay both come to mind. Lots of posts on here about the specifics of each area.

Last edited by hello_there; 23-09-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Area's that you could consider that will hit the spot, especially with water front views, without spending too much, are:

Shek O you might get a single floor of a village house right near the beach for that. $20,000hkd ish. You will need to visit Shek and speak to Lulu ( at her dai pai dong ) regarding what's for rent, as they have banned real estate agents/developers in that community. .

Sai Kung won't be a problem, especially around upper Tai Wan Village, below $12 - 20K will get you something nice, with a balcony and a 700ft2 roof terrace... Tide was out when I took that photo..

Marina cove and Hebe Haven, would be possible to find something cool, in your budget/size range. Hang Hau MTR isnt that far away, 10 minutes by cab tops...

Siu Lam
    ( next to the Gold Coast ) you will get a 1350ft2 apartment overlooking a beach and park for $16 - 25K per month.

Sham Tseng The Bellagio & Seacrest villas are popular complex's, right on the water, great views of the Tsing Ma Bridge at night. Relatively close to Tsuen Wan MTR and a quick cab ride home.

Lots of choices, Park Island and Discovery bay are other area's you can consider, but no cars allowed if you had any ambition for one recreationally.

Some of the best area's to live, won't be near an MTR etc, so depending on how much you pay for housing, if less money is spent, you could just taxi it home. Getting home to Sai Kung or Shek O by cab would probably cost about $200HKDish via a discount taxi to SK, a lot less to Shek O 100 ish etc ?
    Last edited by Skyhook; 23-09-2009 at 11:02 AM.

hihi

If you want a place that is convenient, quiet and nice. I would suggest Park Island. I've been there before its only 30 minutes away from Central and its 24 hr ferry. Taxi - its about HK$250.

The apartment there are from 600sf - 1000s.f, rental fee is HK$8000 - HK$19000 max, and it is a new area- 5 year max. Most apartment have a ocean view either facing Tsing Ma Bridge or Sham Tseng.

There are like 3 club house, with gym, 4 swimming pool, tennis court
    and etc. There is also a Ma Wan Park, where you can go hiking.
    There are restaurants, spa, supermarket. The management and security are great.

Miu Wo is very nice, and not very expensive compared to others. It's on Lantau Island but there's a regular ferry to Central.

I think Skyhook covered the most obvious places. There are also some apartments with balconies in the GC, but not every appt has them. The 962 bus (from CWB-Central) runs until midnight then N962 half hourly all night; red minibuses run all night from Jordan, CWB, Mongkok.

happy valley and tai hang fits your bill.
    happy valley racecourse and hk stadium are two of the largest patches of grass on the island.
    you can be in central in less than 15 minutes by mtr.

Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo:
    happy valley racecourse and hk stadium are two of the largest patches of grass on the island.
    I REALLY struggle when people suggest that Happy Valley is green. It's a concrete jungle with a racecourse in the centre - that's NOT a normal definition of green!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thundacatchergo
    I REALLY struggle when people suggest that Happy Valley is green. It's a concrete jungle with a racecourse in the centre - that's NOT a normal definition of green!
    Plus there's no MTR in Happy Valley so I don't know how someone can go from HV (via CWB) to Central in 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I was thinking the very same thing, Moves lol. It's pretty concretey around the streets of HV. Plus, you are not right on the waterfront, like the OP requested.

Another oversight would be the noise pollution via the race callers on the PA, not to mention the light pollution during evening race meets, if your apartment bedrooms happen to face the course. Fek that...

Clare is right also, you'd have to walk, cab or tram it to CWB, then MTR it. 15 minutes would be very ambitious.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 24-09-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast