lease issue, pls help :(

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

lease issue, pls help :(

Hi All,

We live in tung chung and in the seond year of our lease. My LL just informed me that he wants to terminate the contract. The problem is that we might have to relocate outside HK in Mar 2010 and hence I am quite stressed thinking what shall we do now.
    (we r in 2nd year of lease and LL can actually gvive 1 month notice).

apar from the movers + agent costs, I am wondering how will I get an apartments for your 4 months
    i have a loads of stuff and would need an unfurnished apartments in Tung Chung

do you think it would be possible to make someone agree to lend us the apartment for 4 months?

I have a 3 year old kid too and I am quite upset of what has suddenly happened

pls suggest something

Theres usually always a surplus of empty apartments in TC though so ask at the usual suspects such as Midland etc and tell them that you need a place for a minimum of 4 months but are willing to maybe pay a little bit more than the market rate to do this.

They'll know which apartments have been empty for a while thus to them and the landlord, Some money is better than nothing.

If not then your other option is a serviced apartment but then that means having to put your stuff in storage.

how about asking your LL that you pay a bit more? sometimes they are just after a bit more money...

Hi. Thanks

I called him & asked. he is looking to sell the apartment (now that prices have gone up) and seems unwilling to let it be on lease
    I offered him that we will let people come in and see the apartment but he only agreed to let us in till Nov while I need it till mid march

Is there nothing in common law that protects you here? I could not do this to my tenants in the UK because of the law (not my contract) protects tenants!

How could that work? The lease is out of its minimum term - after that either side can give notice. How else could it be?

It could be however the law like it to be - one side can give notice but the other not, for example. I believe the tenancy act in the UK effectively works in 6 monthly intervals, every time we extend for another 6 months, that then locks me (as the landlord) in for 6 months at least but I think my tenant can get out with 2 months notice.

(Note - it is about 10 years since I looked at this closely though so my knowledge might be outdated and is not relevant to HK - I was just questioning if such existed).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    It could be however the law like it to be - one side can give notice but the other not, for example. I believe the tenancy act in the UK effectively works in 6 monthly intervals, every time we extend for another 6 months, that then locks me (as the landlord) in for 6 months at least but I think my tenant can get out with 2 months notice.

(Note - it is about 10 years since I looked at this closely though so my knowledge might be outdated and is not relevant to HK - I was just questioning if such existed).
    No such right in HK. HK abolished right of tenure several years ago.

Its all pretty much based on contract here.

That answers the question - it was just a thought. Seems like just the situation where it might have been helpful!

To the OP - how about a cheap serviced apartment for a few months? Or look in the classifieds for a sublet? Not ideal, but possible I guess. Are there notice boards around the blocks in Tung Chung? Maybe a notice about a sublet or something? It's the kind of thing you might find better using word of mouth than an agent.....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There's an online forum for TC in English. Perhaps give it a try (i.e. post a classified ad), although I would imagine the Chinese one gets more trafffic.

Tung Chung English Forum - Powered by Discuz!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast