Can I do internet retail out of my home?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just out of curiosity, what is your Immigration status in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by zilla:
    thank you for all your feedback. In USA many people do sell out of their homes and no one blinks really even if technically its not allowed.

I'm guessing as long as you don't have people and products constantly coming in and out no one will notice or even care.

However, its bad to make assumptions. I don't want to make that assumption that its no problem and have Hong Kong government officials quickly breathing down my neck.

After looking a lot of blogs last night it seems that Tai Po might be a potentially good location for me to start. What I like about Tai Po:
    1. easy access to mass transit, inlcuding reasonable travel time to TST.
    2. its a large city unto itself and I can get all the services I need there.
    3. Air pollution is not as bad.
    4. Country setting. a lot of parks.
    5. Room to expand. If I should decide to lease a warehouse there is a large industrial park area (though not sure if I can get a small unit).
    6. okay to spend 15-20k per month. looking for about 1500+ square feet.

Question: Are there any decent yet affordable schools there for pre-school and primary and middle school age?

Love to hear any feedback on my blog observations and research.

Zilla

for that amount you can get a fully furnished 2,100 sft rural house, though the ones near tai mei tuk and ting kok are increasing now

immigration status

it will be as a visitor. another important hurdle. however, i think with the correct investment its pretty easy to get the investor visa.

but i need a good immigration attorney to help me out on that.

Zilla

Quote Originally Posted by zilla:

but i need a good immigration attorney to help me out on that.
    No you don't, you just need to follow the rules. They are very simple here.

As a visitor obviously you cannot legally undertake a business. An Investment Visa requires you to produce a credible business plan to show how you will add value to the local economy (which essentially means employing local permanent residents). Renewal after one year requires you to have demonstrated that you have done so.

and i believe you will have a difficult time signing a lease if you only have a visitor visa.

Denisiel on this thread says you can do the business from your home here and still get a work visa to work for your company. However, as a word of caution as someone else notes make sure the lease you sign does not preclude running a business from your flat as most leases in high rises from what I have heard have that restriction in them. This is important as Immigration asks for copies of your business lease(s) and if the clause says no business there, you could be in trouble.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread...tml#post463133

I was always under the impression from those I spoke to that "suitable" premises if you are seeking a work investment visa meant a leased office dedicated to that purpose. The above thread indicates that this poster has a whole floor in their home for work and had no issues with the work visa so this is a new one on me. I did my own work on the work investment visa but did talk to others who help people do this and they have all said get a leased business premise even if it is a virtual office. My sense as I think back to the conversations is that it probably meant it makes your business case a lot stronger if you have a leased office.