Heading to HK......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heading to HK......

Hi there,

I (34yrs Male) am shortly making the move, actually early Nov, and seek some advice on the area(s) where should I be looking to live. Work are putting me up in a serviced apt for 2 months until I find a place that suits (Approx budget 15-20k is what i am looking to pay).

I have listed a few things below that I'd like to factor into the move and together with your knowledge of the area, be able to narrow the area down that best suits my lifestyle.

#1 - I love to Surf (limited in the area I know), play soccer, hike, and try to swim each morning (laps are fine).

#2 - Work is located with in the citi group tower.

#3 - I would like to have greenery around me and hopefully national parks; if there's a lap pool in the area, that would be ideal also. - Commute of 30-35mins is ok.

#4 - Budget as I have already said is approx (15-20k).

I might look to flat share for a while until I find somewhere that suits, is this common for HK?

If you have any advice or direction, I would be very grateful to hear back from you.

Thanks and have a great day.

Last edited by neils; 11-10-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Welcome to Hong Kong

Hi, Neils...

Sounds like Discovery Bay may be best for your lifestyle. The commute from Discovery Bay to Central is done by way of ferries (air-conditioned and relatively clean) which run on a 20 to 30 minute schedule. There is lots of greenery and hiking trails. There are also apartment residences with clubhouse facilities (ex. swimming pool) available for lease which comfortably sits within your budget.

The other alternative would be to attempt leasing a much smaller place in the Mid-Levels (maybe around 400 sq.ft. or less), and most likely you will not be privy to pool privileges (but you may otherwise increase your chances if you are able to find a suitable flatshare arrangement). The exposure to greenery in the Mid-Levels also depends on where the apartment complex is located. For example, there are more trees further up Mid-Levels along Conduit Road, Kotewall Road, Hatton Road, etc., not to mention much less traffic and noise). The advantage of living in the Mid-Levels is your comparatively short commute to Citigroup Tower -- approximately 10 minutes from home to office in a taxi. After work happy hour specials are also within walking distance...say, a brisk 15 minute walk towards Lan Kwai Fong in Central.

I hope the above information is helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other enquiries.

Cheers!

Oh HK island, the only place I know of where you can sometimes surf is Big Wave Bay, on the East side of the island out towards Shek O. Good hiking out that way also, but it living out there probably wouldn't be the most convenient for someone who works at Citigroup Tower.

Regarding places for you to look for an apartment - I'd start looking in Wan Chai and the Midlevels. Might also go a little further out to Happy Valley, Shung Wan, Kennedy Town or Pok Fu Lam. These areas aren't right in the country parks (with the exception of Pok Fu Lam which has direct park access in some areas), but they all have good transport links and are close. You also may be able to find something up on Bowen Road (Midlevels east) that has a lovely tree-lined walking/ jogging path.

For a lap pool, I would seriously consider joining Seasons Fitness, which is right at your work building. Not having to worry about finding a building with a pool will greatly increase your options within your budget.

Flat shares are not too common, but I do know a few people with roommates. Another option is a serviced apartment until you find more perminent digs.

Last edited by hello_there; 25-10-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retailjunkie
    The other alternative would be to attempt leasing a much smaller place in the Mid-Levels (maybe around 400 sq.ft. or less)
    HK$15-20K can get you 700sq.ft in some older properties in the mid-levels.

True, but we're talking about REALLY old properties for that price in the Mid-Levels (old walk-ups) and they aren't always available for lease because they're usually quickly snatched up by other renters. You never know, though...you might get lucky during those two months in the serviced apartment and find a 700 sq. ft. place for that 15-20K.

I'm not sure about that - I'm in an 828gross, 727net 2 bed apartment in mid-levels (in a decent building by no clubhouse etc) and I don't think I could get much more than about $22K (incl) for it.

I guess it depends on the property, the floor, etc. I also live in the Mid-Levels and 15-20K is non-existent over here.

www.headlandhomes.com has a good rundown of properties, and info on DB.

I'd suggest, as you're doing - getting a serviced apartment for a couple of months and sussing out all the areas, seeing what's about. No point taking other peoples suggestions until you have seen the places and experienced the commute.

DB is great for what it is, but it doesn't appeal to everyone. Likewise HK island. Some people prefer other areas in NT. Most areas will have most of the the things you want. If you want to surf regularly you'd do best to come and suss out the options.

You can get a decent serviced apartment for your budget.

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 28-10-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Gold Coast will give you many of the things you are after:
    * excellent large swimming pool
    * fitness facilities
    * right next to a beach (no waves to speak of though)
    * not very built up, hiking right on the doorstep, Phase 2 is pretty open with large grassy areas and trees
    * 40 min bus to central in the morning/evening peak
    * cheap (cheaper than your budget, so you have extra for the taxi to big wave bay, which is a LONG way away!)

I'd look at some places on the south of HKI too if I were you. Maybe Aberdeen? Or PoFuLam? These will give you some of what you are looking for and are closer to Big Wave Bay for the surfing! But pricier than GC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast