Renting on Hong Kong Island

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

唐樓 just means "tenement" ("old Chinese Building" is the usual translation I believe)

南丫島 is Lamma Island
    杏花邨 is Heng Fa Chuen (the MTR stop before Chai Wan; quite why that appears in the conversation here I don't know...)

My 2 bedroom apartment in Sai Kung Town is 5k a month. It takes about an hour to get to Central in the morning.

You might also check out Cheung Chau, I think the ferries run pretty regularly.

thanks, PDLM, i knew i recognised the characters, but couldn't remember where they were.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    唐樓 just means "tenement" ("old Chinese Building" is the usual translation I believe)

南丫島 is Lamma Island
    杏花邨 is Heng Fa Chuen (the MTR stop before Chai Wan; quite why that appears in the conversation here I don't know...)
    You're not going to get somewhere for HK5K in HFC!

Sai Wan Ho and Chai Wan are possibles though.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    imparanoic.... would you mind also posting the english version of the places you've listed in chinese? not all of us can read chinese (even after years of trying to learn)
    dear Carang

I know this an expat site, thus i will cater for both people who understand chinese as well as people who don't, hence when i refer to chinese characters I will usually translate/transliterate ( 翻譯) in english usually in brackets or vice versa, please note that high majority of overseas chinese don't know how to read or write chinese therefore i will provide both english and chinese version of keywords ( this also applies to non chinese)

This also allows people who don't read chinese to become familar with keywords after we are all in hong kong, however, we all know that you can survive without understanding any chinese in Hong Kong.

Dear PDLM

I am pretty impressed with your understanding of basic chinese...

pls note that the OP refered to heng fa cheun (however, he used the slightly incorrect name for heng fa cheun word -村 should be 邨 ( pronunceds as "chuen" has the same meaning - village) , in one of his replies, hence why i refered this in my comments

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:

Dear PDLM

I am pretty impressed with your understanding of basic chinese...
    or his cut/paste into google translate skills...

Hey Imparanoic,

I believe 村 (cun village) simplified Chinese = 邨 (cun village) traditional Chinese. Otherwise, please do let me know what the correct simplified of 邨 is. It can only be 村 it seems.

Thanks.

You mentioned in your original post about Tuen Mun. I don't know much about Tuen Mun accomodation, but live in Gold Coast which is close to Tuen Mun. You can get a 800s ft appt here for around 7k, so suspect a smaller one is in your budget. Probably will be in Tuen Mun proper. It's not so bad living here - commute is about 40mins, but we have space, beaches, nice uncrowded shopping centre. Tuen Mun proper is more crowded but also has good access to greenery, beaches and is on the MTR line .... worth considering for anyone on a budget.