Renting on Hong Kong Island

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Renting on Hong Kong Island

Hey Experts out there,

I'm looking at a lot of places in Hong Kong, and honestly the rental range seems similar in a lot of areas. I wonder where is HK Island's cheapest place to rent? Shao Kei Wan? Kennedy Town? Elsewhere? Feel free to also provide information on cheaper places elsewhere (though I'm still thinking about the commute): Tuen Mun etc.

Thanks everyone!

ummm.... what is cheap for us may not be cheap for you....

what is your price range? requirements?

Well, really I would like to know where the absolute cheapest housing is to be found without a huge commute to Central. Price range, ideally under 5K for a studio or one bedroom. Hopefully at least 250 to 300 square feet. I am a recent graduate with debt to pay off and such (and with a salary not coming close to being an "expat" salary). Thanks guys on your tips!!! :-)

Maybe my question should be: if you are a banker, where would you most hate to live? Thanks again everyone!!!

i would suggest looking at lamma island. flats there are cheap (honestly don't know how cheap, it's been years since i was there)... ferries to central fairly regularly and cheaply... nice & easy commute... not smashed up against someone who forgot deoderant in the heat of summer on the mtr...only problem would be if you are a party animal, you'd have to make sure you were on the last ferry back to lamma for a nightcap.

i would much rather that than some dingy, dank, tiny shoebox on hk island...

look at www.gohome.com.hk for a very general starting point, then go to the areas themselves and talk to some agents...off the top of my head i'd say shau kei wan/chai wan/sai wan ho or possibly wong chuk hang...or flat share to move yourself up to something likely more comfortable

Last edited by timklip; 07-11-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Carang, thanks a lot! I've been to Lamma and like it! For some reason I keep forgetting about it as a living option. I might head over there tomorrow and have a look.

Any ideas guys for HK Island though anyway? I mean, sure, everywhere has cheap and expensive places, but where is the average generally cheapest. I think from my own knowledge, Kennedy Town and then farther east on the MTR Island Line (except for 杏花村), but really I'm new here, so I'm not certain. Thanks!

Hey thanks timklip too....sounds right :-)

Hmm...Wong Chuk Hang, I will definitely have to check that out. this is great guys, thanks!

You can find some cheaper one room student-type places in Sai Wai/Kennedy town, but they're quite basic.

On Lamma you can get 350ft for around 4K a month, but add to that the 550 for the ferry pass and the complete inconvenience.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast