SCREENS (or lack there of) and Mosquitos

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry SCREENS (or lack there of) and Mosquitos

Why don't HK building have screens on their windows (um...tropics, insects, esp. mosquitoes!!!!). I recently lived in Beijing where screens are by far the norm. Why not in HK, where the insects are more and fiercer? Have any of you managed to install screens despite the windows not being made for it???? Does anyone have a logical reason why HKers prefer to live with mosquitos than to put in windows with screens????

if you go to one of the local shops selling security gates and windows, you will likely see swing out or roller screens available for intallation...

We have magnetic screens on all of our windows. I've seen the same ones out in Sai Kung. Our landlord is French-Chinese and pretty cool like that--he put a lot of thought into renovating this flat the right way.

I was told by my landlord that I didn't need a screen because we were pretty high up. . . well he was WRONG. . . my son was the buffet for the mosquitos, and when I asked my landlord to install some screens, he claims that he can't find one. . . so we decided to improvise by buying sheets of screens and cut it up then "velcro" it to the window. . . another thing we bought is mosquito nets.

I have seen some removable screens at Japan Home so you might want to check those out. . .not expensive less than $50 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HKfornow:
    I was told by my landlord that I didn't need a screen because we were pretty high up. . . well he was WRONG. . .
    How many floors up are you exactly?

And do you have a balcony area with dirty water etc which attracts them?

Quote Originally Posted by HKfornow:
    I was told by my landlord that I didn't need a screen because we were pretty high up. . . well he was WRONG. . . my son was the buffet for the mosquitos, and when I asked my landlord to install some screens, he claims that he can't find one. . . so we decided to improvise by buying sheets of screens and cut it up then "velcro" it to the window. . . another thing we bought is mosquito nets.

I have seen some removable screens at Japan Home so you might want to check those out. . .not expensive less than $50 I think.
    Where are you living and which floor? In our 5th year here and not one mosquito in the flat in all that time.

Live in Pokfulam, on a lowly 11th floor. . am not close to drains or balcony and no plants or pets at home. . .but mountain facing.

I was a little concerned about this also, but found that I have not encountered one creepy crawly/bug/mozzie. Although, I haven't lived below 37/F.

I don't recall seeing any mosquitoes in any of my four apartments here (two of which were only on the 4th floor). So I believe this is very location specific.

Quote Originally Posted by newtohk1:
    Why don't HK building have screens on their windows (um...tropics, insects, esp. mosquitoes!!!!). I recently lived in Beijing where screens are by far the norm. Why not in HK, where the insects are more and fiercer? Have any of you managed to install screens despite the windows not being made for it???? Does anyone have a logical reason why HKers prefer to live with mosquitos than to put in windows with screens????
    Hong Kong has a problem with a surplus of exclamation and question marks. In order to encourage consumption of said punctuation marks, the goverment has mandated that insect screens cannot be installed in residential buildings. This will lead to hysterical posts containing an excess of marks on the internet and a subsequent reduction in our annual surplus.

Unused punctuation marks are disposed via landfill or controlled burning. The former results in the gradual disappearance of Victoria harbor and the latter is a major contributor to Hong Kong air pollution.

As a concerned resident of Hong Kong, I applaud your patriotic post.
    Last edited by jgl; 10-11-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast