Like Tree3Likes

Work in Central, where should I live?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

if you are spending 400-500k or more on housing each year, the savings can be considerable. the difference between 1 million per annum and a 500k housing allowance is quite a bit cheaper than just 1.5 million per annum.

True...

1.5M as salary (assuming, say, married 2 kids) - tax payable: $189,280

1M as salary plus 500K as housing allowance (all spent on housing and monitored as required by the employer) - tax payable: $121,280

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Be aware though that I am told by someone who lives in one that Tung Wah management staff run the place like a dodgy hotel, and require anyone entering or staying in your apartment after 11pm (or thereabouts) to be registered with them. Which is utterly laughable.
    bollocks.

i live in a tung wah property and this is not true at all. i have never had to register anyone coming to visit me at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    And it's not quite as simple as the housing being tax deductible either. See many, many previous posts here on this subject by searching for "Housing Allowance".
    Oh, cool. I guess I better read up on these things. Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by PDLM View Post
    Be aware though that I am told by someone who lives in one that Tung Wah management staff run the place like a dodgy hotel, and require anyone entering or staying in your apartment after 11pm (or thereabouts) to be registered with them. Which is utterly laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    bollocks.

i live in a tung wah property and this is not true at all. i have never had to register anyone coming to visit me at any time.

I was surprised by PDLM's post as that is not my experience nor that of any guest. I like this building - price, quality and cleanliness. It is a bonus that the staff here are friendly and helpful and you have a landlord who is professional and is available. Oh and you don't pay any rental commissions.

I did see the sign that visitors have to show ID or something but no one who has visited me has had an issue. It doesn't mention any time like a hotel. My sense is that this sign is much like a business that posts a sign saying "we reserve the right to refuse service...." It is just there in case someone dodgy is wandering in the lobby.

I found out about Tung Wah Properties from an expat who lived here happily but moved home to Canada. He has lived all over the world and if not for work he'd have stayed in the same building I am in.

My friend has the door code and a key to my flat and no one stops him. He looks after the place for me when I am away and speaks to the staff downstairs for me as just the odd person on the desk knows English.
    Last edited by Football16; 18-11-2009 at 09:50 AM.

To put the lid on this one... I spoke again to my source, and he said "oh, er, well it was like that about 10 years ago. Maybe it's not now" So my info was clearly out of date. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16
    I have never heard that but I think there is a sign in the lobby that visitors must register BUT I have had business associates here and they never said they were asked to register. It doesn't say 11 pm - will check that. I have a friend with a key who is a local and who looks after the place when I am traveling and he has never had issues. They know he has a key as I locked myself out and I asked down in the lobby for them to open the door but they didn't have a key so I waited and met my friend. He gets my mail and comes and goes when I am not here at times and not once did they say more than hello.

I liked that you must file a report within 3 days of taking the flat and then come and review it and set a time on the weekend to make changes. I was having trouble with the hot water not cutting out and they just came here and turned it on and were back a few minutes with a replacement. My floors are re-finished. Place painted and they are doing this to the flat across the hall - that guy and his wife moved to Tower 125.

Everyone I spoke to here including two expats who told me of this and also the young female expat love this place. The locals who spoke to me said the same thing - good building. I have just heard that some are moving to Tower 125 as it is newer. I spoke to a local woman in here 30s one day in the lift who asked if I liked it. I asked her and she said they renewed twice and are in their third lease.

It is a quiet, clean building. Just had a few ants which I got rid of as they were entering the living room window. Other than that, very good place and I like clean.

I doubt very much this is true.
    I found this: TWGHs / Residential

Is that the only place I can see their rental properties? Doesn't seem like there's a lot to choose from. And I don't think they list their rental prices online and I had to do trial & error to guess the rental prices.

Roughly how much do you pay for rent a month? How large is your apartment? I'm very Very much concerned about the bathroom area lol. Do they have like a little cabinet below the sink? And like a table top kind of area around the sink so you actually have a place to put your toothbrush and things like that?

I'm currently paying $5000 a month for a shoebox in North Point which I absolutely can't stand. I took over the lease from my friend several months ago so that I would have some place to sleep upon arriving to Hong Kong. My sink in the bathroom is literally just a sink with no room to put anything. The bathroom is sooo small and dirty and old. I have to store my toothbrush and toothpaste outside in a drawer in the living room, and carry my toiletries into the bathroom whenever I need to use them. And my shower area is actually a shower head right above my toilet! So when I shower, my toilet and everything else in the bathroom gets all wet.

Please give me more info on these Tung Wah properties like rental and facilities and sizes and such. I'll probably give them a call too to see if I can arrange for a visit. I work in central and I can't possibly imagine living in discovery bay or gold coast. I would really love to given the feedbacks and pictures I found online, but the commute is just too inconvenient.

I would prefer to live in Hong Kong island, studio apartment or 1br (I'm kinda chicken to have too much space to myself lol). How much do you think I'll have to spend if I were to rent one of these Tung Wah properties in the HK island? And do they generally allow pets? Thank you so much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3