young couple starting life in hk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

young couple starting life in hk

hi all

me and my partner are going to work in HK next year and we are considering places to live

we would like to stay there permanently so we would be looking to purchase a home as opposed to renting (im of the view rent money is dead money - no discussion on pros of renting please!)

requirements:
    - 2 bed room, clean, not too old (<10 years)
    - budget is 3.5 million - very strict as we are paying cash
    - less than 15 min commute to central incl walking to bus stop / mtr
    - air quality is very important - this rules out yau ma tei, tst, mong kok... i cannot stand the air quality there
    - parks nearby, cafe's / restaurants
    - safe - i lived around wanchai a few months ago - didn't realise there was a red light district a few blocks away! didn't feel safe or comfortable at all
    - nice community, would like to live in an area with other young people and from around the world

pokfulam sounds ideal to me but i don't know if itll make it with our tight budget..

im hoping if there are any other areas which may fulfil our criteria... anyone have suggestions which meet the above criteria?

thanks!

Umm pokfulam is nowhere near 15 minutes commute to central and no mtr either. And your budget can't afford it.

15 minutes commute to central including walking is incredibly tight, You might get somewhere in Soho but it will certainly be older than 10 years old.

Sorry to rain on your parade but your expectations are not realistic.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Olympic - in one of formerly new estates like Harbour Green.
    25 minutes door-to-door commute to Central.

Maybe somewhere in Sheung Wan could work for you. Check out the agents behind the Sheung Wan MTR on Queen's Road West.

Also you can try a search here on geoexpat, on gohome.com.hk or gumtree.com.hk. All three are good resources to get you started.

thanks for your input all

pokfulam -> central isn't 15 minutes? I took a taxi before in around 15 minutes last time i was there...

re: harbour green - is that located alongside the sewerage plant? if it isn't and the smell is okay, then i will have a look at it, thx for your suggestion

seungwan looks more affordable, i guess i'll have to make a compromise on my tight budget

will also look at kennedy town although i hear with the new station and all, the prices have skyrocketed

15 minutes in a taxi outside rush hour, but up to 30 minutes on a bus in the rush hour, depending where exactly in Central. That's plus walking time at each end.

Kennedy Town won't have an MTR station for a couple of years yet, so it's tram or bus from there and 15 minutes door to door is unlikely in peak hours.

I know you say you dislike renting, but I would have thought that it would make sense to rent for a year to get to know HK a bit better and to give you more time to find out which area you like and what compromise on commute/greenery/cost works best for you.

Last edited by PDLM; 15-11-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Takes about 10-15 minutes to get to Central from Pokfulam by taxi, without traffic. In reality, a morning commute between 8-9 am is more like 30-40 minutes, depending on where exactly you live and your luck finding a taxi that morning. Takes a while to get through the Pokfulam Rd. and/or Caine Rd. traffic. In any case, you won't find a new property for <3.5M in Pokfulam.

Kennedy Town or Tin Hau sound like your best bet.

For your budget, you can checking out Cathay Lodge in Wan Chai, it is a newer building and it is in the residential area. And also Cheung on the park in Causeway Bay, also a newer building, closing to MTR. Both of these buildings are within your budget for two bedrooms. You can check out gohome.com, but their listing is mostly outdated. Best to check out the agents near these buildings. I've been looking at these two building for a while but have not decided to buy. Happy Valley is also a good choice, lots of expats there.

Thanks Woodpecker! Will contact a few agents in that area.

Gohome is quite misleading at times i have found, quite a few fake ads just to reel in new potential buyers

Tsing Yi - Tierra Verde...< 15 mints MTR to Central ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast