Convenience or paradise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Convenience or paradise?

My girlfriend and I moved to HK about a month ago, and are closing in on permanent accomodations but are very torn between a small FULLY FURNISHED unit we absolutely love at the Bel-Air in Cyberport, and something by ICC (HarbourSide, The Arch, The Sorrento, or The Waterfront). I work in Exchange Square in Central now, but my office will be relocating to ICC before too long, so the Kowloon options clearly win the conveniece contest. The commute from Cyberport is much longer and less comfortable than I had planned, and it couldn't get any easier than ICC for me, but still we are finding it hard to turn down the Bel-Air. The Kowloon options will cost more and will need to be furnished, but I save on commuting costs, etc.

Does anyone else think it would be worth the commute? Is Cyberport a total ghost-town?

Thanks in advance,
    J-

imho - if it was me, at the end of the day (and of course weekends),- i would like to be in a place where one can relax and recharge, and be away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

totally agree with star gazer (hence my living out in the boonies).... i want my home to feel just that... LIKE HOME...go with where you are comfortable.

commuting sucks, but is sometimes unavoidable but worth it to be living exactly where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Linguini75
    My girlfriend and I moved to HK about a month ago, { ...}. I work in Exchange Square {...}

Does anyone else think it would be worth the commute? Is Cyberport a total ghost-town?

Thanks in advance,
    J-
    There are plenty of people that live in Bel-Air that commute to IFC and ICC.

Where does your girlfriend work? Does she get a say in it?

If she doesn't work, and will be spending time at home, I probably think that her decision may be more important than any commute time you may put in (if you want to keep her in your life).

How much is a taxi from ICC to Bel-Air?
    Say it is $120 (or whatever). That gives you 10 trips for $1200.
    How much are you saving by living in Bel-Air. You may be able to put some of this to taxi fares, for when you just want to get home quickly.

Thanks, all. Very helpful. Part of the problem is that the accomodations by ICC are also very nice and would be homey, but just nothing compared to the paradise of Bel-Air. The Kowloon options fulfill all of the wants and needs that we came here with and then some. Bel-Air just gave us a superior option we did not anticipate. My girlfriend is not working now, but she may end up working out in Lantau island with pick-ups from Kowloon, so the ICC option may well be more convenient for her in that respect as well. Ironically, she prefers the ICC options bc she wants to be close to my office so we can meet up more easily, etc, so the allure of being on a resort all day is fading for her compared to that convenience and proximity. Decisions, decisions, decisions . . .

then it sounds as if kowloon is better... leases are only 2 years (14 months minimum).... you could always move if you aren't happy with your choice.

I guess one question I have is how expat friendly are these new complexes by ICC in Kowloon. Not that I want to be in Soho or fully immersed amongst Brits and Americans, but I did not see a single foreigner on the premises when I visited and all of the sales brochures were in Cantonese. The people at the front desk also spoke to my broker in Chinese only. I assumed they spoke English too, but did not hear any. Cyberport did not seem overly expat-centric either, but the staff there seemed much friendlier. I could be wrong, but I did not feel all that welcome in some of these buildings. The staff just seemed kind of cold. Cyberport also seemed very family-oriented, which is not really what we're looking for, but I guess everyone would just tell me to move to the Mid-Levels like every other rookie . . .

Mat

...and I would tell you AVOID mid level - never found it attractive, except maybe if I were single and looking for a mate.

Given your options and if your work LATE (something you may conside) I would take the option near ICC + you might get lucky and enjoy (when weather/pollution permits) a great view of the harbor

Bel Air is nice but you are not that close (in relative term) from most of HK.

Even in the mid-levels very few buildings are more than 25% expat, and all the building management people are local. Few are fluent in English, many have none at all. If you want to live in an English-speaking place then Hong Kong isn't for you.

I stayed in Le Meridien in Cyberport for a few trips before moving here - and I found the location to be absolutely dire. Having said that - is there a resident's bus? I was on the public doubledecker that took around 45 minutes to get to central. Where I live now in the gold coast there is a residents bus to central, and it makes a big difference (defined schedule; always sitting; faster).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast