rec for cute cozy walking 'hood shops/restaurants

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rec for cute cozy walking 'hood shops/restaurants

hi All,

I'm about to move to HK mid/late feb. this year.

What neighborhood has an excellent walking local area much like the shops/restaurants/stores of soho/mid levels around and near the escalator?

im looking for at least a 2 bedroom 750-950 sq/ft

thanks!

ummm... that would be soho and mid-levels. but you already know that...you make no mention of budget at all either.

Carang has already answered your post.

So, what is your budget?
    If you are single, you need less size but you will get a better apartment.

950sqft will be... hmmm... it will cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    ummm... that would be soho and mid-levels. but you already know that...you make no mention of budget at all either.

hi carag! 24-30K range.

Is soho/mid-levels the only 'hood in HK with that kind of layout?

thank you!

More or less yup.

You need to get over, stay in a hotel for a month or so and check out a few areas. Cos once you are working here where you will want to be will change and god knows if the places in SoHo for your budget are thesort of places you'll be happy in.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    More or less yup.

You need to get over, stay in a hotel for a month or so and check out a few areas. Cos once you are working here where you will want to be will change and god knows if the places in SoHo for your budget are thesort of places you'll be happy in.
    Thats probably a good recommendation. I'm from NYC so I really like to have a local neighborhood where I can just walk outside and experience local shops, coffee shops, small restaurants and convenience. I am not into the HUGE high riser type buildings with a built in gym, spa, etc, etc. Then when you walk away from your complex there is NOTHING nearby to go to.

so is mid-level's/soho the only area in HK that has that dynamic? if so, wow! kinda surprised.

Thank you Load Toad.

Quote Originally Posted by RobUSA:
    Thats probably a good recommendation. I'm from NYC so I really like to have a local neighborhood where I can just walk outside and experience local shops, coffee shops, small restaurants and convenience. I am not into the HUGE high riser type buildings with a built in gym, spa, etc, etc. Then when you walk away from your complex there is NOTHING nearby to go to.

so is mid-level's/soho the only area in HK that has that dynamic? if so, wow! kinda surprised.

Thank you Load Toad.
    pretty much everywhere is like this ... unless you go out into new territories or southern parts of hk island, or out to outer islands.

most neighbourhoods in hk are as you described (there are a few exceptions). however, not many of those neighbourhoods have a lot of expats.

you would also get exactly the same in:

mongkok
    tst
    sai wan ho
    fortress hill
    tin hau
    causeway bay
    wanchai
    chai wan
    jordan
    yau ma tei

like i said, most neighbourhoods would be like that.

have you ever been to hk before?

Having said that, the extent to which those shops and restaurants are likely to feel "familiar" to a recently arrived expat varies a lot between the districts. And certainly if he wants expat-friendly bars within walking distance then the list is much shorter.

As LT suggested, really the OP needs to get some temporary accommodation when he gets here and spend some time working out what works best for him.

Rob,
    As mentioned many places in Hong Kong are 'local'. SoHo area is relatively 'famous' so I think there is a misunderstanding in what you are looking for. You could easily live in Hung Hom or Sai Kung and have the stuff you've mentioned.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast