Tips for appartments

Tips for appartments

Hi!

I'm planning to move to HK im february to start a one year internship. As the intern salary isn't that good I won't be able to pay more that about 8000-9000 HKD a month. The appartment should be somewhere along the Tsuen Wan MTR line/West rail line or in Sha Tin.

Any good ideas?
    Thanks!

any place between Tseun Wan to Shatin is a lot of space to cover.

I do know that The Bay Bridge has servcie apartments:
    The Bay Bridge
    123 Castle Peak Road, Tsuen Wan
    Telephone+852 2945 1111

I have heard of interns like yourself staying long term at:
    The Panda Hotel Panda Hotel

The Dorsett Hotel Far East in Tsuen Wan

There is also Olympic Terrace
    Hong Kong Serviced Apartments, Hotels Near Hong Kong Airport.

there are loads of small apartments enough for yourself about $5000+ rent. That should still leave you enough room for utility bills etc.
    they will be small (about 600 sq ft) but if it's only you, that should be enough room unless you're really into space.

As Alby suggested, the bay bridge will have studios without kitchens for that budget, and generally can take bookings for a few months before you arrive.

Hang Lung Properties Limited

also consider

Royal View Hotel - Serviced Suites

though the rent here is generally more around the 11k mark. they won't take bookings for more than 2 weeks before you arrive though, part of their policy on keeping long term tenants and giving them first priority.

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 07-01-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added bits

Serviced apartments are usually very expensive. If they have cheap rooms they are likely to be very crap. Better come and stay with a friend initially and take a few days to look for a small flat, rather than sign up for a serviced apartment before even seeing it. You won't get a refund if you don't like it! As cathy789 suggest, there are many smallish apartments for your budget.

the plus with a service apartment is that it gives you time to look around for a place you want to stay longer term, and there is no need to shell out money/time for tv, furniture, appliances, broadband etc...

Also, OP, one more tiprepare for disappointment.
    Apartments in Hong Kong are generally at least one of the following;
    - poorly constructed
    - over priced
    - poorly designed

Having said that, I still love living in HK, so welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by rasbro
    the plus with a service apartment is that it gives you time to look around for a place you want to stay longer term, and there is no need to shell out money/time for tv, furniture, appliances, broadband etc...
    True, but book it for a month, not for a year! So you have a month to look around for something less crap and less overexpensive.

Thanks everyone

I think I will get something temporary and look for an appartment when I'm there