Like Tree14Likes

Living on Park island (Ma Wan)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

As long as you like living there Randy, we wont stop you lol

Mat

If PI is a paradise for dog owners then I was really right not to move there Can't stand the beasts ))

I have to agree with BenderBends. We also lived in PI for 5 years and moved out 2 months ago. We just couldnt stand it anymore. At the beginning, it was a very nice place, quiet, a lot less people living there, space on the bus to sit down or at least get on the bus (too crowded now) etc.
    Now there are way too many tourists during the weekend, the parknshop is horrible and everytime you need to line up for ages to buy some food and the rental prices increased a lot for our place.
    When we moved in it was 8,000 HKD, now they are asking for 12,000 HKD. Its ridiculous.
    The air quality is also not that good. I had a friend in Sai Kung and we took a couple of days a picture at the same time to compare the air quality. Sai Kung is way better.

We moved to Lam Tsuen now and are super happy. The air is a lot better than in PI, we can own a car, have a garden, a much bigger place, the Parknshop in Hong Lok Yuen is super convenient and there are never more than 1-2 people in front of the queue + we still need only half an hour to work (in Kwai Fong).

Quote Originally Posted by randy1
    Bender - just out of interest, if you don't like an areas that you live in, why would you live there? And for so long? My guess would be that you might be one of those people who complains about things no matter where you are!
    no...i do speak my mind though. i stayed in PI for 5 years because its not the easiest thing to just pack up and move everything, especially when for past 2 years we have been anxiously awaiting prices on other key areas of town to drop so we can buy. since that still hasnt happened...we decided that enough was enough and are in process of moving out now.

My observation is that so many people are moving to Park Island because they like it there so much! That's certainly the impression I get when I speak to residents. And I know more and more people living in Central who come visit PI and then move there when they realize all the benefits. Certainly its great for dog owners also (which I think was one of the original questions in this thread).
    true...many people who visit as a "tourist" to park island think how great it is. but the longer you live there...the more you realize how bad the design of the place really is, and how over crowded it has become. and yes...lots of dogs there, unfortunately they don't know how to properly clean the complex so that EVERY time it rains the entire complex has a very strong urine stench. nice and pleasant.

You will see prices have been steadily rising, and is now at record highs (but still in my view quite affordable). The reason prices have been rising is because of increased demand. And the demand has increased because people like Park Island!
    again i think many people like the idea of PI, just as i did when we first visited. but as they continue to add more tourist destinations like the great Noahs Arc (what a joke that is) and the beautiful Park Island Park (replace natural paths and grassy hills with wooden and concrete steps - theres a HK park for you) and soon a hotel and further destruction to the old village, it just brings more and more tourists, making the ever so tiny "park" island into a overcrowded tourist trap.

Also, I think as more foreigners and ex-pats move there, the feel of the place will change, hopefully for the positive. You can already see that happening with some of the new reataurants, etc.
    well... the funny thing is is that cafe roma is struggling to stay open and is barely ever open anymore, and the other beach front restaurants charge the same price as GOOD eats in central but for much lower quality food. the rest of the island has really bad restaurants that i would not even consider edible unless im starving and all ferries have sunk and buses crashed.

What you can do is make suggestions to the Park Island Management Committee if you are unhappy about how things are run. To me, the management seems excellent. Again, better than I have seen anywhere else in HK (and I have lived in many places all over HK in the past).
    have done this almost monthly. but because im not an owner my words go on deaf ears.

Can you name one development, anywhere in HK, that is of a better construction quality?
    well...if construction quality is the only focus, then yes there is a lot of better built and better designed flats/complexes. if you want to look at more things like convenience, transportation, food, shopping, etc...again there are lots of other options. obviously a lot of this depends on pricing and budgets...which i decided to increase to get off PI and into a better spot.

BTW....for a place called "Park Island", when do you think they will add a real park to their attractions?

lastly...dont get me wrong, i could care less if you decide to live in PI or not. i just wanted to make sure that this thread had more then 1 raving review from someone who just arrived to PI, and some reviews from those who have been here for a long time.

i actually thought you might be a seller on PI and trying to create a "buzz" amongst the expats here so that you can get increased demand...but this is a complete guess based on your previous posts.

Its sounds to me like Bender is the kind of perosn who will be unhappy wherever he/she moves to and perhaps is frustrated that HK property prices have kept rising.

Bender - Where are you moving to, may I ask?

Before I moved over to Park Island, I had a good chat to a number of residents who live there. All of them love living there. There are even some people who retired early (ie in the 30's) but rather than going back to Europe have chosen to live there as they like it so much.

All I can say, to people who may considered Park Island and who may have read your negative posts, is to come see for youself. Don't let one persons rants put you off checking out a very viable living option. Come over and make up your own mind.

I probably will buy on PI (I already own in a place in Oz, and so will have both a place in HK and my Oz place, which is perfect for me as I travel quite a bit). To me, prices still seem quite affordable in HK, especially compared to Oz where prices are really pretty high when you consider the cost of borrowing from the bank there.

PS - I would not wait to long to buy on PI as I do feel a "buzz" about the place, and feel prices will keep rising as people seek better quality apartments, facilities etc. For rentals, I know a number of residents who have moved around due to landlords increasing prices on them, but then that is the problem with being a renter - you are at the mercy of landlords, which is why I will ultimately buy.

Quote Originally Posted by pumi23
    When we moved in it was 8,000 HKD, now they are asking for 12,000 HKD. Its ridiculous.
    Pumi - what size place is that for? 750 square foot?

that was for 679 or something like that

Its sounds to me like Bender is the kind of perosn who will be unhappy wherever he/she moves to and perhaps is frustrated that HK property prices have kept rising.
    exactly...cause if someone dislikes a location, they must hate everything/everywhere.

Bender - Where are you moving to, may I ask?
    moved to a temporary residence in TST area.

Before I moved over to Park Island, I had a good chat to a number of residents who live there. All of them love living there. There are even some people who retired early (ie in the 30's) but rather than going back to Europe have chosen to live there as they like it so much.
    i would doubt that PI was the reason they chose to stay in HK over Europe. It might have been what ALL of HK has to offer as a whole. maybe? maybe not.

All I can say, to people who may considered Park Island and who may have read your negative posts, is to come see for youself. Don't let one persons rants put you off checking out a very viable living option. Come over and make up your own mind.
    never said it wasnt an option for viable living. i merely was giving a second opinion based on living there for a number of years, compared to your initial reaction which was similar to mine when i first moved there. i couldnt understand why more people werent flocking to this not so hidden gem. now i know.

I probably will buy on PI (I already own in a place in Oz, and so will have both a place in HK and my Oz place, which is perfect for me as I travel quite a bit). To me, prices still seem quite affordable in HK, especially compared to Oz where prices are really pretty high when you consider the cost of borrowing from the bank there.
    prices in HK are affordable? I'm not sure you share the same view as most people on this thread. in fact, most people here seem to agree that we are on the extremely high end of the market, and that prices are way over inflated and sure to come down any day now.

PS - I would not wait to long to buy on PI as I do feel a "buzz" about the place, and feel prices will keep rising as people seek better quality apartments, facilities etc. For rentals, I know a number of residents who have moved around due to landlords increasing prices on them, but then that is the problem with being a renter - you are at the mercy of landlords, which is why I will ultimately buy.
    the more you talk the more im convinced you are a realtor agent from PI trying to push more expats to go look into buying there. next you are going to rave about the wonders that is the Noah's Arc and how it lends beautifully to the PI residents.
    Last edited by BenderBends; 02-03-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pumi23
    that was for 679 or something like that
    I don't think 12K is too bad for that, especially when you compare it to Mid Levels, where you would pay a lot more, for a smaller place, with no facilities, no view etc. If you think an increase to 12K is a lot, you should see how much landlords are raising prices on HK island. Mid Levels, Sheung Wan, Sai Wan, Pokfulam - its all really going up a lot now with rental agreements signed 2 years ago coming up for renewal. The place I am renting on PI is 1500 sqft, with a rooftop - rent is 32K a month, which I think is great great value. My employer pays an allowance of 30K a month, so I add 2k on my own. There is no way I could get anything even close to the quality of what I have now for 30K in the Mid Levels now.

Here is my basic day on Park Island during the week:

7am - Wake up, go for a walk on beach with dog.

7.30 - Breakfast with family.

8ish - If I need to go to office, I will go to the ferry and then do some emails on the way to Central. I can also work from home, and if I have a home day I will get started with emails, and maybe go for a swim or a quick workout at the gym 11ish. My son goes to the local kindergarten on the island.

12ish - lunch, often at one of the beach restaurants. I might also bring my laptop and do emails as there is a wireless connection there, and I have been known to have a small glass of wine with my meal . I also do skype with some clients, and they always comment on how awesome it is that I can work from the beach! Also, and perhaps best of all, I have my dog with me, sitting beside me at the outdoor table.

After lunch, I sometimes take a quick ocean dip (just getting ready to do that now in fact!)

For shopping, sometimes our helper does it, but I might pop into the Park and Shop and pick up some things. I never find the line longer than 2-3 people (which is WAY better than P&S in the Mid Levels). And I find the selection of foods and wines at P&S much better than the one I used to go to on Caine Road Mid Levels.

2-5ish - emails, or perhaps watch a movie or read a book if I am home, and play with my son.

Evenings - swim in one of the pools, sauna, spa, and then either dinner at home, BBQ on the rooftop with friends invited over, or a meal at one of the beach restaurants or the seafood restaurants in the local village. Often we end up having some late night drinks, either at Cafe Romas, or at a friends place on the island, or at my place.

I also go out to Wan Chai or Soho etc once or twice a week, and then just cab it back to PI when I am done.

Altogether quite idyllic for me, I must say

I did consider Sai Kung. What put me off there was first of all the long drive there. Secondly also the fact that none of the houses there have the facilities PI has, and also that you need to drive anywhere to get food etc, where as on PI you can just walk out the door and grab whatever you need.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast