Like Tree14Likes

Living on Park island (Ma Wan)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

you do realize you dont describe a day of a typical expat in Hong Kong?
    The reality is super crowded busses + long queues in the morning to go to work, long waiting time to go back home. I hated waiting in Tsing Yi for the bus because of the horrible air there. I often didnt dare to breath at all because of all the exhaustion fumes.
    The bus stop in Kwai Fong is right next to the air conditioner exhaustion (is that the right word?) from the shopping mall. Once again, hard to breath without worrying seriously about health.
    Parknshop after work or during weekend is horror.

We pay now 19k and have a much bigger place including a huge garden.
    And yes, an increase of 8800k (last contract) to 12000k is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    I don't think 12K is too bad for that, especially when you compare it to Mid Levels, where you would pay a lot more, for a smaller place, with no facilities, no view etc. If you think an increase to 12K is a lot, you should see how much landlords are raising prices on HK island. Mid Levels, Sheung Wan, Sai Wan, Pokfulam - its all really going up a lot now with rental agreements signed 2 years ago coming up for renewal. The place I am renting on PI is 1500 sqft, with a rooftop - rent is 32K a month, which I think is great great value. My employer pays an allowance of 30K a month, so I add 2k on my own. There is no way I could get anything even close to the quality of what I have now for 30K in the Mid Levels now.

Here is my basic day on Park Island during the week:

7am - Wake up, go for a walk on beach with dog.

7.30 - Breakfast with family.

8ish - If I need to go to office, I will go to the ferry and then do some emails on the way to Central. I can also work from home, and if I have a home day I will get started with emails, and maybe go for a swim or a quick workout at the gym 11ish. My son goes to the local kindergarten on the island.

12ish - lunch, often at one of the beach restaurants. I might also bring my laptop and do emails as there is a wireless connection there, and I have been known to have a small glass of wine with my meal . I also do skype with some clients, and they always comment on how awesome it is that I can work from the beach! Also, and perhaps best of all, I have my dog with me, sitting beside me at the outdoor table.

After lunch, I sometimes take a quick ocean dip (just getting ready to do that now in fact!)

For shopping, sometimes our helper does it, but I might pop into the Park and Shop and pick up some things. I never find the line longer than 2-3 people (which is WAY better than P&S in the Mid Levels). And I find the selection of foods and wines at P&S much better than the one I used to go to on Caine Road Mid Levels.

2-5ish - emails, or perhaps watch a movie or read a book if I am home, and play with my son.

Evenings - swim in one of the pools, sauna, spa, and then either dinner at home, BBQ on the rooftop with friends invited over, or a meal at one of the beach restaurants or the seafood restaurants in the local village. Often we end up having some late night drinks, either at Cafe Romas, or at a friends place on the island, or at my place.

I also go out to Wan Chai or Soho etc once or twice a week, and then just cab it back to PI when I am done.

Altogether quite idyllic for me, I must say

I did consider Sai Kung. What put me off there was first of all the long drive there. Secondly also the fact that none of the houses there have the facilities PI has, and also that you need to drive anywhere to get food etc, where as on PI you can just walk out the door and grab whatever you need.
    Good lord, comparing PI and Midlevels is like comparing apples and potatoes....

Compare like for like please.

also, not everybody can do grocery shopping in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday...
    Last edited by Mat; 02-03-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    Rising prices??? My rental price has not changed since 1st day arriving, and those I've spoken to who have bought here have said that so far it has proven to be a bad investment since the selling price has not really fluctuated much over past 10 years (although I can't comment on that).
    bender, you are out of touch on this one: our flat's sale price is up 50% since 2009 and our predecessor made a profit of about 40% since buying in 2005

I don't think 12K is too bad for that, especially when you compare it to Mid Levels, where you would pay a lot more, for a smaller place, with no facilities, no view etc. If you think an increase to 12K is a lot, you should see how much landlords are raising prices on HK island. Mid Levels, Sheung Wan, Sai Wan, Pokfulam - its all really going up a lot now with rental agreements signed 2 years ago coming up for renewal. The place I am renting on PI is 1500 sqft, with a rooftop - rent is 32K a month, which I think is great great value. My employer pays an allowance of 30K a month, so I add 2k on my own. There is no way I could get anything even close to the quality of what I have now for 30K in the Mid Levels now.

Here is my basic day on Park Island during the week:

7am - Wake up, go for a walk on beach with dog.

7.30 - Breakfast with family.

8ish - If I need to go to office, I will go to the ferry and then do some emails on the way to Central. I can also work from home, and if I have a home day I will get started with emails, and maybe go for a swim or a quick workout at the gym 11ish. My son goes to the local kindergarten on the island.

12ish - lunch, often at one of the beach restaurants. I might also bring my laptop and do emails as there is a wireless connection there, and I have been known to have a small glass of wine with my meal . I also do skype with some clients, and they always comment on how awesome it is that I can work from the beach! Also, and perhaps best of all, I have my dog with me, sitting beside me at the outdoor table.

After lunch, I sometimes take a quick ocean dip (just getting ready to do that now in fact!)

For shopping, sometimes our helper does it, but I might pop into the Park and Shop and pick up some things. I never find the line longer than 2-3 people (which is WAY better than P&S in the Mid Levels). And I find the selection of foods and wines at P&S much better than the one I used to go to on Caine Road Mid Levels.

2-5ish - emails, or perhaps watch a movie or read a book if I am home, and play with my son.

Evenings - swim in one of the pools, sauna, spa, and then either dinner at home, BBQ on the rooftop with friends invited over, or a meal at one of the beach restaurants or the seafood restaurants in the local village. Often we end up having some late night drinks, either at Cafe Romas, or at a friends place on the island, or at my place.

I also go out to Wan Chai or Soho etc once or twice a week, and then just cab it back to PI when I am done.

Altogether quite idyllic for me, I must say

I did consider Sai Kung. What put me off there was first of all the long drive there. Secondly also the fact that none of the houses there have the facilities PI has, and also that you need to drive anywhere to get food etc, where as on PI you can just walk out the door and grab whatever you need.
    I could describe identical days living in the Gold Coast. (Well, before the change in jobs I when I was coasting at work!)

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    bender, you are out of touch on this one: our flat's sale price is up 50% since 2009 and our predecessor made a profit of about 40% since buying in 2005
    All the residents I spoke to before moving said the same thing. They bought cheap, and now have experienced very solid stable increases in value.

To give you an idea, I am looking to buy and the average price seems to be around 6000 a square foot for a place with ocean views. And for the type of apartment I am after which is a luxury penthouse, its more like 9000-9500 a square foot. Still much cheaper than HK island, but definately more than prices were a few years ago.

All the agents tell me the same thing - that the buyer and resident profile is changing from locals to expats and wealthy chinese and upper middle class locals who want a clean place for their families - all of which is increasing the prices.

The delimma I have now is to pay quite a high price for Park Island. On the one hand its still much cheaper to buy than to rent, but on the other hand I am worried interest rates might rise. Still, my gut feeliing tells me prices will likely go up a lot more, and I don't want to be looking back in a few years regretting not getting in now.

All the residents I spoke to before moving said the same thing. They bought cheap, and now have experienced very solid stable increases in value.

s .
    this is true about anywhere in HK if you bought post SARS and are selling now....nothing to do with PI.
    Skyhook and Claire ex-ax like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I could describe identical days living in the Gold Coast. (Well, before the change in jobs I when I was coasting at work!)
    Ha ha - now are we talking Gold Coast HK, or Gold Coast Australia

Ha ha - now are we talking Gold Coast HK, or Gold Coast Australia
    HK. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    i stayed in PI for 5 years because its not the easiest thing to just pack up and move everything, especially when for past 2 years we have been anxiously awaiting prices on other key areas of town to drop so we can buy. since that still hasnt happened...we decided that enough was enough and are in process of moving out now.
    So Bender - for a person who lived on PI for 5 years, does not like it, but did not move because" because its not the easiest thing to just pack up and move everything", but now finally is moving, can you tell us where are you moving to? (And why you chose that new location)?

we moved to Lam Tsuen after living on PI for 5 years.

Bender moved to TST as he mentioned before.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast