Where to live in HK that allows a decent commute to Shenzhen

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I used to do this commute regularly, through Lowu. For an hour door to door, assuming you work close to Lowu, you will have to be on the East Rail line close to MTR. Forget Sai Kung, even with a car it's a royal pain as I know!

If you want a sea view then look at Tai Po, you can get some great places out there in your budget that will tick most of the boxes although it's not exactly an expat area, there are however quite a few expats around. Other areas, well Shatin as mentioned - quite a few expats and expat bars in Tai Wai although no sea view. The closest you can get is a river view. But your budget will get you into Shatin Heights area which is low density and favoured by those with a good housing budget. You could also consider Kowloon Tong, although unless you go to Festival Walk it lacks for eating out and since they closed the King's Arms there are no bars where expats hang out. However you are on the East Rail line there and also have buses to Shenzhen Bay if you want to cross over to Shekou area.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Actually FairView is a really good idea. They have a very regular shuttle bus to Shueng Shui station too for the train to Lu Wo and they have a fair number of expats, all low rise housing and apparently quite nice (I have not been there, I know someone who lives there, an expat, with a family).

My friend works in Central and says the resident bus into town is only 30 mins so it's not a problem for "normal" stuff either.
    one problem, it's not new almost 30 years old houses, i prefer Hong Lok Yuen, it's newer and better location, less mosquitos as fairview park is close to wetland/marshes

Quote Originally Posted by House:
    Palazzo is on top of Fotan station. Get in Fotan at 8.20am and I'm in Luowu 9am (through customs) every Mon.
    Sorry I meant to say Fotan, not Fanling. Thanks House. How do you like living there? I was considering it but decided somewhere else in the end.

Does the OP have a car? Not having a car could eliminate a lot of these places people are mentioning.

Thank you all for your replies, I will check some of the mentioned places specially Tai Po and Shatin. I am particularly interested in the Palazzo, I'll go there and check it.
    The closest border for my work is Lo Wu.
    I don't have a car yet, but if it makes my life easier, I will buy one.

Thank you all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by luisbrito1:
    I don't have a car yet, but if it makes my life easier, I will buy one.

Thank you all for your help.
    if you live in NT, having a car definitely makes life easier and the packing is alot more affordable, up to 3 times cheaper than HK or kowloon

8 Royal Green in Sheung Shui is a brand new building. You can walk to Sheung Shui station which is only one stop to Lo Wu. You can go to Shatin or central by train easily. It is cheaper, too. Maybe it is also a good choice for you to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Jiang:
    8 Royal Green in Sheung Shui is a brand new building. You can walk to Sheung Shui station which is only one stop to Lo Wu. You can go to Shatin or central by train easily. It is cheaper, too. Maybe it is also a good choice for you to consider.
    Before deciding to move to the border, make sure you consider how often you might want to visit the island. The trip can become so long it becomes a hassle.

Tung Chung will be the place. abt 30~40 mins by shuttle bus, every half hour from 07:30am. It costs $45 to Huanggang Border Control Point.
    Services | Citygate Outlets - the only shopping outlet mall | Hong Kong | Lantau Island

Unfortunately the OP has already indicated that he needs to go to Lu Wo and I know from experience that it's REALLY hard to get from Huanggang to Lu Wo - it's not even near the metro. (well, it may be physically near, but it's not walkable).