Where to live in HK that allows a decent commute to Shenzhen

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. We've looked at GC on the weekend and it is really nice and also at the Sorrento in the Elements complex above Kowloon station. Both are different concepts and we are still torn about what to pick. City life or beach life...we'll see.

Actually I guess it aint bad from Elements to Shenzhen now that the West rail extents from Austin to Hung Hom. But still, wouldnt you be better of somewhere along the east rail line like Hung Hom, Shatin, Fotan, Tai Po, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    But still, wouldnt you be better of somewhere along the east rail line like Hung Hom, Shatin, Fotan, Tai Po, etc?
    I think so.
    It just isn't the trip to the border time, but the time to cross the border and then to get from the border to where you really want to be; how long will the total door-to-door commute be and how long can you stomach?
    After you figure out how long of a commute you can tolerate, subtract 15 minutes to factor in border delays and waiting for trains.

i used to do this trip 5 days a week and i did it from clear water bay and i drove every day, it wasnt bad, no traffic unless there is a major crash on the highway. took me less than and hour to get to the border, either sheung shui or lok ma chau depending on how late i was. LOL

Having a car changes everything.
    But having a car also has drawbacks.

I will say Sheung Shui is a good place if you travel frequently between HK & Shenzhen.
    Shatin and Tai Po are good but it is really hard to find apartments that are less than 10 years old.
    PM me if you want some more details.

Quote Originally Posted by hmchmc:
    I will say Sheung Shui is a good place if you travel frequently between HK & Shenzhen.
    Shatin and Tai Po are good but it is really hard to find apartments that are less than 10 years old.
    PM me if you want some more details.
    yeah, you're right royal green in sheung shui has unrivalled luxury compared to majority of most NT apartments, plus it's new, alternative, with the OP's budget, he may be able live in the luxury house estate in beas river behind the golf course.

Have you looked at living in Shenzhen, near Sheung Shui? This would give you 20% of the living cost with easy access to HK when needed. Say Coco Park, which is a major shopping mall/restaurant area with everything you have said you would like. (Very close to Lok Ma Chau/Sheung Shui) You can get a much, much bigger apartment with gardens, guards, pool and club house and all mod cons for about 20% of what you pay in HK. Centaline is a HK-based real estate agency in Shenzhen and you could specify that you want a place where there are lots of expats, if this is what you would like. Shenzhen has its frustrations but so does HK and the fact that your money goes way, way further more than makes up for them.

Quote Originally Posted by dantart:
    Have you looked at living in Shenzhen, near Sheung Shui? This would give you 20% of the living cost with easy access to HK when needed. Say Coco Park, which is a major shopping mall/restaurant area with everything you have said you would like. (Very close to Lok Ma Chau/Sheung Shui) You can get a much, much bigger apartment with gardens, guards, pool and club house and all mod cons for about 20% of what you pay in HK. Centaline is a HK-based real estate agency in Shenzhen and you could specify that you want a place where there are lots of expats, if this is what you would like. Shenzhen has its frustrations but so does HK and the fact that your money goes way, way further more than makes up for them.
    From what I have seen of SZ (and my office is, unfortuantely, in SZ) and from the threads here on the place, I do not think you want your wife and 1 YO there.
    Single and male and looking for cheap, go for it. Otherwise live in HK.