1 month left on lease, my evil landlord is driving me nuts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This is why i never pay my last two months rent. Illegal as it maybe, by the time they try to evict me, not many would as its only two months rent, i would have moved on.

I will always fix the place up before I leave but give the LL no chance to nit pick and try to deduct the deposit.

Same here. It's the only way to avoid being screwed.

There are other ways to avoid being screwed - trust me. You can get married...

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad
    HK landlords are notorious vermin and have to be treated accordingly.
    Good one, totally!

So when you skip the last 2 months rent, do you tell your LL that you'll be leaving soon during the last 2 weeks or so? Do you tell your LL to come and pick up the key? Or do you just leave the place and maybe call your LL to let them know that you've left (since the property owner can just get a locksmith to open the door)?

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    This is why i never pay my last two months rent. Illegal as it maybe, by the time they try to evict me, not many would as its only two months rent, i would have moved on.

I will always fix the place up before I leave but give the LL no chance to nit pick and try to deduct the deposit.
    This may be the best advice yet.

I have recommended my landlord Tung Wah Hospital Properties to others and from what I see so far these guys are great to deal with from even the smallest issue. When you report a problem one of the guys comes and looks at it and notifies the office who then call you and make a date/time to fix it.

Trashing the place is not smart but going the other way makes a lot more sense.

Back in my university days, my room mate went off to law school and lived in a house with a bunch of folks where they had a dart board. To prevent wall damage they attached something to the wall first. On their moving out day they realized that the wall had a lot of holes in it despite their best efforts to protect it. They had had pancakes for breakfast and with some left over batter they fixed the holes moments before the landlord came to do his inspection and give back their deposit. It worked.

Quote Originally Posted by biubiubiu
    So when you skip the last 2 months rent, do you tell your LL that you'll be leaving soon during the last 2 weeks or so? Do you tell your LL to come and pick up the key? Or do you just leave the place and maybe call your LL to let them know that you've left (since the property owner can just get a locksmith to open the door)?
    i usually delay payment of the second last month to like the 20th (or whenever they remind me). once they remind me, i tell them that i will move out and ask whether we can simply use the deposit against the (almost passed) month plus the last one.

always worked so far

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2