Best area for young family for < HK$60k/month

Closed Thread

Best area for young family for < HK$60k/month

My husband and I are considering a move from London to Hong Kong with our new baby. The move would be through my husband's work. He would not receive a housing allowance but would get the benefit of the lower tax rate.

Our absolutely top budget for accommodation would be HK$60k/month (and preferably a bit less...) and we were wondering where the best areas might be for that sort of money?

My husband would work in Central. Initially I would not work (due to newborn) but would eventually also look for a job if my visa permitted it.

We have been recommended both Happy Valley and Repulse Bay - would either be within our budget? We've also been recommended Discovery Bay, but would probably rather stay on the island, at least for the first 6 months or so of our stay. Ideally, we'd like a 3 bedroom place (ie, with room for a maid if needed) within a safe complex with a pool. We'd like an area that wasn't too polluted (so probably not Midlevels..) but had relatively easy commuting access. We may consider getting a small dog at some stage in the future, though this wouldn't happen immediately.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

1) in the past 15 years in hk, i've NEVER had a problem with safety. hk is one of the safest places you could choose to raise your kids. (mother of two here).
    2) not much difference in pollution levels from one area to the next.
    3) $60k/month will get you pretty much anywhere in hk (more than 3x what i pay)
    4) if your husband has a work visa, then you apply for a dependent visa. that will allow you to work when/if you choose to
    5) for recommending places to consider, we need to know more about you and your family:
    do you want a gym/pool etc?
    do you want a playground in the complex?
    how long is your hubby willing to commute?
    do you plan on buying a car or would you rather use public transport?
    if you get a dog, what kind of dog are you considering?

the main places that expats on your kind of pay look at would be:

south island
    discovery bay
    sai kung/clearwater bay
    pok fu lam
    happy valley
    mid-levels

Try Stanley/ Tai Tam or Happy Valley/ Jardines Lookout/ Tai Hang for a start. All are family friendly, have a bit of a community feel, places to walk, some nice restaurants and coffee shops and decent public transport to Central. A big difference is the morning commute to Central from Stanley is about 40 minutes, while its about 15 from Happy Valley. There are large complexes with all sorts of facilities, clubhouses and indooor and outdoor pools and smaller complexes with only outdoor pools or none at all also.

Other areas to try would be Repulse Bay and Parkview, which are a bit smaller, but also family friendly. Some people love them (lots of expat wives/ mothers around) while others find the areas a little cliqueish. Parkview has tons of facilities (three pools, Roman baths, indoor children's playroom and outdoor playground, many tennis courts, indoor rock climbing, huge gym, squash courts, grocery store, several restaurants, etc. BUT it is up on top of a hill all by itself). In Repulse Bay there are a mix of buildings, some large with tons of facilities, others smaller, with maybe just a pool.

Polfulam also has plenty of options in your price range and most places there would have lovely views and great facilities within the building complex.

Last edited by hello_there; 19-01-2010 at 10:02 PM.

60K? Darlin' you can take your pick cos you will be fine.

Many thanks to you both for replying so quickly.

Carang, to answer your qs:
    - yes, we'd like a pool if possible;
    - a gym and playground would also be 'like to haves', but they are not essential;
    - we probably won't buy a car, so would just use public transport;
    - if we get a dog, it would be a small one ('Sheltie' size or thereabouts) and ideally from a rescue centre; and
    - we both currently commute ~45minutes each way in London, so anything less than that would be a bonus! 15 minutes from Happy Valley sounds great - is that walking or via bus/tram?

If we were looking for property in Happy Valley/Jardine's Lookout, where are the best places to start (eg, are there any recommended websites that list available accommodation?)

On a non-accommodation related note, I've heard that it's useful to join sports clubs in HK and that this is a good way to meet people. Between us, my husband and I like cricket, rowing, rugby, wakeboarding and horseriding. Are there any recommended sporting/social clubs for those sports?

Also, I've heard that it's very common to have a maid. That's a strange idea to me at the moment, but I can see the possible 'pros', especially if my husband and I were both working. Is it possible to employ someone that doubles as both a nanny and a maid? If not, would the maid be prepared to do babysitting 1 or 2 nights a week or do they tend to have very strictly defined job roles?

Thanks again.

Oh, and if 60k is too much, we're very happy to settle somewhere cheaper!

I said 60 as this is the limit of what we could afford (taking into account both the tax advantage and what we'd be paying for rent anyway in London), but we'd be estatic if we could manage to find somewhere for, say, 40k and then save the rest each month (or use it to go travelling!).

For 40-60k you can get a very nice place fairly close to Central. If you want to be on HK island, there are many well-appointed apartment complexes on Conduit Road, Robinson Rd, Kennedy Rd, Macdonnell Rd, Bowen Road (all in mid levels)... about a 5 minute drive or 15 minute escalator ride from Central. Pokfulam, Tai Hang, Happy Valley are slightly less convenient areas (20-30 min commute) but you might find a slightly bigger apartment for the same money and more open space (in Pokfulam at least). Repulse Bay and Stanley are very nice areas close to beaches, if you don't mind the extra expense and longer commute. Discovery Bay is a seaside suburb that requires a commute by ferry. I'd say Sai Kung and Clearwater Bay are a bit far if you don't plan to drive.

Last edited by classico; 19-01-2010 at 11:58 PM.

clearwater bay isn't too bad. it would be a short minibus ride to hang hau mtr station, then 29 minutes to central. (there is also a park-n-ride that costs $5/hour ~if memory serves me correctly)

as for db... i LOVED the ferry commute. clean, comfortable, air conditioned, always guaranteed a seat, built-in wind-down time built into the day... i actually miss it!

Google is your friend.
    HK property and apartment for rent and sale- Island Property Consultancy Ltd
    Colliers International - Your Premiere Resource for Property to Rent in Hong Kong

This one has a lot that u might be intrested in:
    Property Search - Square Foot

New Horizon Property Agency Ltd.

Maid are used as nannies as well by the locals. No fixed job duties.