Best places to live in Kowloon

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best places to live in Kowloon

Hello, I have no idea where I want to live. I'll be working near the Prince Edward metro station in Kowloon, my budget is prob $20k-$40k, and I'm a single 29 year old guy. Here are my current criteria and I'm open to any suggestions.

I need a 1 bedroom serviced apt preferablibly with a gym and pool.

I want to be close to the metro and maybe a park with basketball courts

Prob close to other expats or in a area thats easy to meet people. I'm pretty outgoing but I don't know anyone in HK yet.

I don't need to live in the heart of the entertainment district but close enough to get to some of the good bars and restaurants.

Thanks for any help

You could live in Hung Hom at the Harbourfront Horizon or Harbourview Horizon (check out the threads below for more information). Both are serviced apartments near Hung Hom station (MTR to Mong Kok East, which is right by Prince Edward station). There are also a few buses and minibuses that go to Prince Edward nearby. There are a number of expats in those two, along with the nearby Harbour Place, Royal Peninsula, Whampoa Gardens, and Laguna Verde (all housing complexes). There are also basketball courts just up the esplanade.

Harbourview Horizon - Hung Hom
    rental in habourview horizon
    Anyone from Harbourview Horizon?

Your budget may be able to rent the serived apartment in kowloon station.

Kowloon Station isn't very convenient to Prince Edward; there's only the infrequent buses and one minibus that goes there, unless you switch trains 85 times. Plus it's not convenient to much other than the MTR station.

there are some very posh apartments in kowlon tong as it's an affluent area, something like parc oasis. only 5 min walk to kowloon tong mtr, only 2 stops away from prince edward (5 mins)

alternatively, The Pacifica in Lai Chi Kok is only 7 mins walk from chueng sha wan mtr, 3 stops from prince edward (8 mins)

all have basketball courts, etc.

however, though this is close to your work place, there are less expats here, if you want to close to expat places, consider elements, it will take you 30-35 mins to price edwards, or horizon view has quite a bit expats, but it will take you around 25 mins walk and commute to prince edward via east rail then 7 min walk to prince edward

Last edited by imparanoic; 24-01-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The towers around the Elements look nice but seems to be on the wrong MTR path and very inconvienent to Prince Edward. I also looked at the Harbourfront/Harbourview places near Hung Hom MTR. But it seems to be on te wrong MTR line as well. I read they have shuttle buses to TST but they can be very crowded in the morning and almost too much of a hassle to deal with.

I started looked at some places on the north side of Hong Kong island, but not too sure which neighborhood to look at. Although it looks further away on a map, it seems closer (15-20min) via MTR direct on Tsuen Wan line or one change on the Island line. Also assuming I live close to an MTR.

What do you guys think?

I am going to disagree about Hung Hom being difficult. Mong Kok East Station (One stop from Hung Hom) is right in between Prince Edward and Mong Kok stops. (Just a few blocks away) It may be possible your office is the same distance from Mong Kok East Station and Prince Edward Station.

You may want to consider other means of transportation aside from MTR... ie. minibus & bus... I believe there are a bunch of buses that run close to Elements (near Kowloon Station) to Prince Edward area. Similarly, lots of bus/minibus choices from Olympic station area to Prince Edward too.

yup, travelling by minibus may save you more time than changing routes in MTR. You may feel tired to change from Tusen Wan line to Island line in Admiralty during peak hours. Sometimes you may need to wait for 3-4 trains to get into.

Hmm HKChigger, looks like you are right. My office is faily close to the Mong Kok East stop. Living in Hung Hom could be an option. I'll also look into the mini buses near Kowloon MTR. Can anyone who lives near the Kowloon MTR comment on how they like living there or the ease of taking the buses from there?

I'll be in HK for a week at the end of next month to meet the people in the office and to look for a place to live. I'm just trying to compile a list of the areas I want to check out.

Thanks again

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast