Like Tree1Likes

Single lady - immediate arrival & longer-term budget accom suggestions needed please

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Single lady - immediate arrival & longer-term budget accom suggestions needed please

I will be moving to Hong Kong in March to take up a teaching post. Knowing nothing about HK and having never been before I am looking for some accommodation suggestions both short and longer term.

Can I ask for recommendations for some comfortable hostels to stay at when I arrive or should I opt for a serviced apartment (max. budget is about HK$6000 for this) for the first month or two?

And longer-term does anyone recommend a flat share or is living solo possible for a young single lady while not having a major income in HK?
    I don't like areas that are too crazy but prefer to be nearer some hustle and bustle than in a very quiet, family-oriented neighborhood.

Cheers!

Error i my last post - rather I should have said that I know nothing about HK's major districts

You can try staying at the Helena May

The Helena May

practicaltour likes this.

It really looks good but out of my price range just now.

Quote Originally Posted by practicaltour:
    Knowing nothing about HK
    Do you know enough to know that you need an Employment Visa, and do you have one? (There are plenty of private teaching establishments who trick teachers into coming over).

You could try somewhere like: Cozy Studios. They are tiny but cheap. There are some other similar places, can't think of the names but if you google, you'll find them.

I haven't stayed there myself so it might be worth just staying in a hotel for a couple of nights and checking some places out.

it's depend on yr teaching post's location.....

For immediate short term, say 2-3 weeks while you look around, recommend using the IBIS at North Point. Small, but functional and if you have a laptop there is a cheap 1 week internet subscription to maintain communications. Very near to MTR and trams. If you can afford it upgrade to Harbour View. Good for the spirit. On your budget look for an apartment share in Sheung Wan. It is close to SOHO and MTR/tram again. Good luck.

you can share a flat with 6000

Thank you so much for the posts - yes, I have an employment visa but no clue regarding districts. Kokoyashi - For a larger apartment flatshare would $6k cover rent? Please keep any info coming

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast