Like Tree5Likes

Finding an area in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Agree with all of the above. DON'T commit to anything until you're out here and had a look around.

HK is very compact and public transport really good and cheap so yuo have the the choice of much of the city.

From what you've said, Discovery Bay sounds like it might be worth taking a look at. It's my idea of hell (too suburbia for me) but it's green, open, has a nice little beach, close to lots of hiking trails, but just a 30 min ferry ride from Central and around $20,000 should get you a nice modern 2-bed flat in a building with pool and gym.

no building in db has a pool or gym. You must join the residents' club to use facilities
    Posted via Mobile Device

I'd suggest you also take a look at the Gold Coast (last one on Carang's list). It pretty much meets all your criteria and there are a fair few expats too. It's a 30-45 min bus ride (resident's bus) into Central each morning and back int he evenings, close to hiking and beaches, has excellent gym and pool and tennis and squash, appts are on the larger side and much cheaper than those closer in, good restaurants in the shopping mall (5 minute walk) as well as a decent super market and chemist.

There is also horse riding in Tuen Mun which is about 15 mins away by bus.

You can google "hong Kong gold coast" and find the official site which has the bus timetables etc; please read everything on that site with a pinch of salt - they really like to show unrealistic pictures (the photos are photoshopped - it's nice but not THAT nice) but it gives you an idea anyway.

Then yes, like the others, I agree - come and get a serviced appt for a while and make a choice. The Royal View in Tsuan Wan is not bad for a month in a serviced appt (particularly if you are thinking about GC area, as it is not too far away and you won't get too used to the convenience of being right in Central!).

I suggest that a good way to get a "feel" for at least a few of the outlying communities BEFORE you come is to go to their respective community websites:

Explore Sai Kung: Explore Sai Kung
    Lamma Zine: www.Lamma.com.hk : Lamma Island, Hong Kong - Community Portal, Lamma-zine, Events, Galleries, Forums

Good luck with your decision!
    Judy at Explore Sai Kung dot com