Like Tree2Likes

"bank area" where is it?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Hi there - I'm thinking about Gold Coast too.

How do you get in to work - 962? Or minibus to Tsing Yi and then MTR?

Also - any decent gyms in the area?

Cheers
    geoff
    I mainly use the GC Residents Shuttle bus to get to work - 30-40 mins from Phase 2 to Central (outside post office) + 5 mins to Wan Chai (Central Plaza). 5 buses each morning (7, 7:30, 7:50, 8:05, 8:20, 9:35) and similar back in the evening (between 5:45 and 8pm). when there is no shuttle bus, 962 takes 45-60mins (45 offpeak; 60+ in peak but peak is when the shuttle buses run). there is also the 962B (5 mins slower, goes via Sham Tseng only to Admiralty) and red minibuses to Jordan and Mongkok (slow inbound, very fast back to GC when they fill up and dash non-stop to Sham Tseng then GC in 30mins total).

Gyms - Phase 2 has a good gym/tennis courts/squash courts and a pool. Gold Coast Yacht and Country club has a good (small, no classes) gym but membership is awfully expensive. There is a California and a Physical in Tuen Mun - 10 mins on the bus from GC.

962 is the best way or the GC shuttle bus itself

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    962 is the best way or the GC shuttle bus itself
    Although that does rather depend on what time you travel and exactly where you want to go. If you work in IFC, for example, I can imagine that the 140M/MTR may well be a quicker (if more disruptive) journey at certain times of day but normally I'd use a 962 to get to the island outside shuttle bus hours. It's a pretty comfortable ride and quite scenic too.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    consider star street in wan chai. good area, close to pacific place 3, which connects to 2 through an underpass

10min to work
    Good area, but not cheap - 12k is not going to stretch far there.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    Good area, but not cheap - 12k is not going to stretch far there.
    A colleague at work has somewhere close to there for 19k (if I recall the conversation correctly) and about 400 or 500 sqft (sorry, cannot recall the exact details) - he was told it was a really good deal when he got it. It's apparently high quality though - might be cheaper for something abit grottier.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    A colleague at work has somewhere close to there for 19k (if I recall the conversation correctly) and about 400 or 500 sqft (sorry, cannot recall the exact details) - he was told it was a really good deal when he got it. It's apparently high quality though - might be cheaper for something abit grottier.
    i am sure you find something cheapter around there as there are many old walk-up buildings which do not charge the astronomical rents

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Within 20 mn to central yiou do NOT only have Mid Levels. you also have TST, Jordan, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay, Tin Hau, Sheung Wan....plenty of cheaper options than Mid Levels.

12K is doable but it will be rather small 400/500sqf.
    i dont think many of these places can commute in 20min door-to-door. pacific place 2 is probably a 5-7 min walk from the mtr door to the office door, so that doesn't leave much else.

i used to live in fortress hill and work in central at both places with a max 5 min walk to the door. i barely made it in 30min

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    i dont think many of these places can commute in 20min door-to-door. pacific place 2 is probably a 5-7 min walk from the mtr door to the office door, so that doesn't leave much else.

i used to live in fortress hill and work in central at both places with a max 5 min walk to the door. i barely made it in 30min
    My boss used to live a 5 min walk from Jordan MTR in a nice place (bigger and more expensive than the budget, but relatively about right) and he could get to Lippo Centre in 15 mins ... Pacific Place 2 is about 5 mins more walking, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I mainly use the GC Residents Shuttle bus to get to work - 30-40 mins from Phase 2 to Central (outside post office) + 5 mins to Wan Chai (Central Plaza). 5 buses each morning (7, 7:30, 7:50, 8:05, 8:20, 9:35) and similar back in the evening (between 5:45 and 8pm). when there is no shuttle bus, 962 takes 45-60mins (45 offpeak; 60+ in peak but peak is when the shuttle buses run). there is also the 962B (5 mins slower, goes via Sham Tseng only to Admiralty) and red minibuses to Jordan and Mongkok (slow inbound, very fast back to GC when they fill up and dash non-stop to Sham Tseng then GC in 30mins total).

Gyms - Phase 2 has a good gym/tennis courts/squash courts and a pool. Gold Coast Yacht and Country club has a good (small, no classes) gym but membership is awfully expensive. There is a California and a Physical in Tuen Mun - 10 mins on the bus from GC.
    Cheers... very useful information thanks.

I work in Central close to the Post Office so the shuttle bus sounds ideal. Presumably there is always space in the mornings? And it leaves from outside the phase 2 clubhouse? I would be on the 7am or 7:30am one.

If I am reading right, it seems we can get a 1200-1400 sq foot 3 bedroom place with sea views for 20k-30k? If so that is very tempting.

thanks
    Geoff

Also, how much is a taxi from Central to Gold Coast? I'm imagining about 150 HKD or so, depending on traffic?