european student moving to HK

Closed Thread

european student moving to HK

hello,
    I am a french student and i'll be staying in HK from august 2010 to december 2010. I will be studying at the City U of HK. So to say, i need an place from 15th of august to 20th of december, if the place is very expensive I can make it from the 1st of september to the 20th of december/1st of january 2011

Unfortunately the university doesn't provide accommodation for its exchange students. Therefore here I am looking for a flat in HK or maybe a room I don't know yet...

I have no idea of the housing prices, I have been looking through the threads and I am planning on having something like 6000hk$ for my accommodation fees... Is it enough? knowing that I would like to be around my university ( Kowloon tong) although i have been told that this district is very expensive so maybe something a little bit farther but not too much plz!!!!

Plus I speak no chinese at all so of possible in a "english speaking area"

thanks a lot for your help

Patricia

CityU provides accommodation for exchange students. More information and application forms can be found here:

SRO - Apply for Housing

http://www.cityu.edu.hk/sro/download...l_app_form.doc

not from my university

my university told me that city u couldn't accommodate us because they already have so many students and i will only be staying some month so i am not exactly their priority so this is why i am searching by my self... quite unfortunate but of course i will try applying but apparently my chances are quite small to get a room...

thx fir your quick answer

Would you consider living in Tai Po?

A bus to Tai Po station and then the train to Kowloon Tong?

tai po

it really depends i have no idea of how long the "journey" takes if it is 45min.. kind of difficult twice a day but if it is some 20 minutes and the area is good it is no problem!

Just to be clear, you have HK$6000 in total for just over 4 months accommodation? (i.e. around HK$1500 per month) Or HK$6000 per month?

no no I have 6000hk$ /month !!!

Quote Originally Posted by patriciahk:
    my university told me that city u couldn't accommodate us because they already have so many students and i will only be staying some month so i am not exactly their priority so this is why i am searching by my self.
    In that case I would suggest looking at the following options. There aren't many "English speaking areas" in HK though, except Discovery Bay and maybe the Midlevels.

1.) The YWCA Loge

Is very close to CityU, but not really within your budget. I think monthly rental is around HK$ 8000

The Lodge - YWCA

2.) Tai Wai

Tai Wai is one train stop away from Kowloon Tong. If you don't mind living in an older building, there are several options west of the station.