Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JonathanCC
  • 1 Post By DrBubb2

information needed about Tung Chung before moving in

Closed Thread

information needed about Tung Chung before moving in

We are newcomers to HK and plan to buy a flat in Tung Chung area, but have heard local complaints about air quality and bad prospect of property prices.

Thanks to give us some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeM:
    We are newcomers to HK and plan to buy a flat in Tung Chung area, but have heard local complaints about air quality and bad prospect of property prices.

Thanks to give us some advice.
    Honestly, I wouldn't think that advice is specific to Tung Chung. It could pretty much apply to any locale in Hong Kong.

Having said that, Tung Chung wouldn't be the first place I would consider buying a property in Hong Kong.

Tung Chung certainlly isn't the best for air quality, and it doesn't have much going for it except convenience if you work at the airport. so I don't see much prospect for property prices going up. It is one of the best $/sq.ft ratios within 35 mins of IFC though.

Moreover the air quality is only going to get worse when Sir Gordon Wu's vanity project of a bridge to Macau/Zhuhai and the associated container port open just down the road - first with all the construction traffic, and then with the container trucks.

What are the reasons you wanted to buy there?

I would totally recommend Tung Chung.

My family and I have lived here for 5 years and we love it. The place has changed over that time - mostly for the better. It offers just about everything we need and want.

As for pollution - everywhere in HongKong has bad days. Some days its bad in TC, some days its bad somewhere else.

We love the open spaces, hiking, bike riding, and the convenience of public transport is fantastic.

We bought our 'large' apartment and it has certainly increased in value.

We have found that a lot of people who haven't spent much time in TC, say it is too far away, too polluted, doesn't offer much.

Come to TC yourself and spend some time looking to make a well informed decision yourself.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tung Chung mum:
    the convenience of public transport is fantastic.
    Eh? Have you ever lived anywhere else in Hong Kong? I can't see how Tung Chung's public transport is any better than average in HK as a whole, and worse than many places.

There are also very few local bars or restaurants which appeal to expat tastes, so if you want a nice meal out it's quite a commute.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Tung Chung certainlly isn't the best for air quality, and it doesn't have much going for it except convenience if you work at the airport. so I don't see much prospect for property prices going up. It is one of the best $/sq.ft ratios within 35 mins of IFC though.

Moreover the air quality is only going to get worse when Sir Gordon Wu's vanity project of a bridge to Macau/Zhuhai and the associated container port open just down the road - first with all the construction traffic, and then with the container trucks.

What are the reasons you wanted to buy there?

Thanks for your reply. We are new to this area, the price/ft2 inTC is attractive. We can have quite a big apartment.
    Where will be the container port exactly in this area, how far will that be from TC MTR station ?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Out of the 5 singles/couples/families I know who have moved out there, 4 have left. The family moved back to DB, despite the extra cost, and the 3 singles wanted a social life. And the middle-aged couple stayed as it is, comparatively, cheap and don't have a very active social life.

We looked at the place closely when we were considering moving there. There is a dearth of decent restaurants; you can get the minivans to the restaurants on one of the public estates outside TC, mainly Chinese and Indian. There is a dearth of taxis at the times you typically want one. This means you have to rely on the buses to go to Mui Wo for a meal, for example.

The government is keen to develop TC further. One good thing is that there will be a hospital built there. There will also be more public housing estates built there and a large development along the seafront from the centre of TC to Caribbean Coast (the land has already been reclaimed and will be sold, suggestions for use included a theme park and a hotel when we were looking).

Many people do like it out there. For some it is a living nightmare. We fell into the latter group.

Perhaps you should see about getting a short-term lease so you can try living there before buying.

And finally, the Coastal Skyline development is more expensive because of better construction.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 24-02-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Out of the 5 singles/couples/families I know who have moved out there, 4 have left. The family moved back to DB, despite the extra cost, and the 3 singles wanted a social life. And the middle-aged couple stayed as it is, comparatively, cheap and don't have a very active social life.

We looked at the place closely when we were considering moving there. There is a dearth of decent restaurants; you can get the minivans to the restaurants on one of the public estates outside TC, mainly Chinese and Indian. There is a dearth of taxis at the times you typically want one. This means you have to rely on the buses to go to Mui Wo for a meal, for example.

The government is keen to develop TC further. One good thing is that there will be a hospital built there. There will also be more public housing estates built there and a large development along the seafront from the centre of TC to Caribbean Coast (the land has already been reclaimed and will be sold, suggestions for use included a theme park and a hotel when we were looking).

Many people do like it out there. For some it is a living nightmare. We fell into the latter group.

Perhaps you should see about getting a short-term lease so you can try living there before buying.

And finally, the Coastal Skyline development is more expensive because of better construction.
    Thanks, your information is very useful !

Very simply:
    Tung Chung is the cheapest , decent "expat friendly" area of HK

Compare prices there with anywhere in the Hong Kong SAR, and you will find unbeatable "value for money"
    == ==

"3 singles wanted a social life"

I wouldn't recommend TC for that. Pay some extra money, cram yourself into a small, older flat, and live somewhere near the escalator, and cough your way through life

Last edited by DrBubb2; 27-02-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    awesomeM likes this.

nature lover's perspective on tc:

we're a young family of 4. been in tc for just over a year and loving it! i go hiking every day. nature is everywhere. there are even streams on the mountain in which my kids and i have examined little critters. i love that +-40min out from the ifc, you can go hiking over subtropical slopes and you're just one green bus away from a barbecue (braai) on a sandy beach (cheung sha). it's like being on vacation every day!

we rarely need to leave lantau (well, except to work), and, frankly, i like that there are fewer restaurants/cafes here, as, bumping into the same regulars at the same cafe (etc) is a great way to make friends with the neighbours (this may change, as there are a few more restaurants opening at seaview crescent this month).

good to hear a hospital is planned for the island. it was a real bummer travelling to tsuen wan adventist when our kids had swine flu!

awesomeM likes this.