Like Tree1Likes

Houses HUNT in Sai Kung

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Houses HUNT in Sai Kung

We have been living in TKO for a few years now. Over the CNY holiday, we visited a freind in Sai Kung, and realize how much I miss the space and the peacefulness. Plus our children seem to appreciate the nature and space especially.

So we started looking for property agencies to have a look at some village house rentals. So far haven't come across anything really outstanding yet. Does anyone have any recommendations on villages that are worth looking into or even any tips about living in Sai Kung Village houses.

We are looking for 2nd floor with roof top or ground with big yard and open space (not too close between buildings). Prefer well maintained or the newer houses.

Thx,

I was looking for a house in Sai kung as well about a year ago, prefered new estates. I didnt find anything. Everything was old and not well maintained.
    There are a lot of new houses in Yuen Long , Fanling and so on.
    We saw quite a few ones with big gardens and big rooftops.
    And its much faster to go to HK island from here since you are on a highway and the first traffic light you hit is in central!

Instead of saikung we decided to move to YL.Big rooftops more greenery and big gardens.(not that sai kung doesnt have ) Also heard theres a lot of humidity in sai kung and my friend had to change his furniture quite often.

Thats just my opinion , but I am sure people who live in sai kung love it there as well

Sorry for the broken english agaaaaaain

Here's an idea: 700 sq ft G/F + 400 sq ft Garden + Parking in Pan Long Wan

Not quite in Sai Kung though but close.

Hi CDNHKG

Having lived in Yuen Long for 2 years, I don't agree with what kokoyashi typed above, unless very low rent properties were considered. Sai Kung has a lot more to offer, in my opinion.

Some of Hong Kong's nicest "family " homes are located in the Sai Kung district, even by western standards, but like anywhere, it is all based on ones budget, as to the level of quality of fit and finish.

Homes located in Shelter Cove are very architectural and rents are expensive there, commiserate to the standard of homes right on the water. Homes in Yan Yee road Tai Mong Tsai are generally renovated/landscaped to very high western level of fit, finish, features, as are many in Marina Cove, Costa Bella are and so on.

If you can list a rough budget and home configuration size, I am more than happy to point you in the right direction, so that you get the best results, I know the area, very well.

Factor in the Sai Kung community as a whole, and you will be left feeling pretty normalised, your kids can interact with other children that attend AIS, CIS, FIS etc in the neighbourhood, just like in a westernish suburb.

Last edited by Skyhook; 24-02-2010 at 05:23 PM.

My budget was 40k, i went to marina cove and costa bella, I didnt like them at all. Where in Yuen Long did you live? There a lot of new houses / estates built in YL less than 2 years old. I am just saying I didnt find anything nice what would fit me there, otherwise sai kung was my first choice to find a house in HK. I did have a look at a lot of houses there but I guess i missed something then.

We lived in Ma Tin road, we owned a 1100ft2 apartment there for a couple of years that overlooked Yuen Long Park. We had a look around the area when we decided to move, looked at a number of new "HK spec" homes, which were either located in really yuck neighbourhoods, had high tension power lines overhead or were just so basic inside, that we just didn't want to waste money having to de developer it.

Marina cove might have been out of your price range, as rents there for anything decent are 60K upwards.

Costa Bello was in your price range at around 35K a month for the bottom floors that face the Sai Kung harbour, I have seen a couple there which were in excellent shape that had their own private court yard, sunken lounge that faced the water, but they had been recently fully refurbished in a contemporary style. they werent the original developers baron design.

So you are right, it is all a bit of a luck of the draw as to what's available for rent at any given time. a block of 20 villa's will have 20 different interiors, some you will like, some you wont.

But as Sai Kung is one of the largest expat resident populations in the NT, a lot of property owners have improved their homes to a pretty wow level. Mr Wong in Sai Kung one of the more active home builders, constructed some fantastic homes in Tai Mong Tsai at the end of Yan Yee Road. They werent your typical povo pack village house, they were approaching 50K a month. Brand new when I saw them,( 2 years old now ) with a communal swimming pool, set by a creek, surrounded by trees, in a valley.

There's lots of choices there.

Last edited by Skyhook; 24-02-2010 at 10:33 PM.

I have to add that it takes time. We looked at Sai Kung on and off for over 4 years (as well as other areas all over HK) and in that time we never saw anything we liked at all, in fact pretty much everything we saw was crap. We looked again in last quarter of last year (when old landlord decided that rent should rise over 20%) and found a superb place, close to town which ticked all the boxes. Great interior, western style finishes in bathrooms, great kitchen (all granite surfaces, built in oven, etc), granite and marble tiling, top floor with rooftop which 2/3 covered and glazed and parking space. Slightly uphill, complete seaview, not overlooked by anyone and suits us perfectly. Not to mention very close to town, so close in fact that I hardly use the car.

So these places do exist but it can take a good while to find one.

CDNHKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by reddbod:

I used to live there! Its in Clearwater Bay Was paying 12k/month 2 years ago.

I live in Mang Kung Uk (Clear Waterbay), 5 mins drive to Hang Hau, close enough to the city but far enough to live in a village environment, trees, open space, dogs barking etc etc.

There are a few new village houses that was built end of last year and already looking for tennents but they are squeezed between two house so not what your looking for.

You should check out the property agents in Tai Po Tsai near the TVB City. Wider and BMC agent.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast