To what extend is rent negotiable? For a Cantonese speaker?

Question To what extend is rent negotiable? For a Cantonese speaker?

I am moving to HK in less than 4 weeks. I've recently checked out a flat-share on Caine Road in Midlevels. New building, tiny room, share bathroom and kitchen with 4 (including myself) and little common area (just a very small corner for a 2 person sofa and flat-screen TV with some cable channels).

The room is furnished with a double bed, closet and a very small desk. Rent is 5k everything inclusive. Flatmates are all expats. Now I've read in other threads that if you speak Cantonese you can get a better price. I wonder how I should use this in my favour to negotiate a better price? In general, what is landlord's reserve price vs. their advertised price? Would $4500 be fair to ask? The room is very tiny and space for moving around is very limited after putting in furnitures. But I like the area in general compare to Sheung Wan/Wanchai/Causeway Bay - It seems a bit more quiet for living yet still close enough to most night lives.

Downside is that it is far away from Central MTR station so less convenient if I want to go out of Central or over to Kowloon. And I will need to catch bus or minibus to work rather than the fast and efficient MTR... and I am yet to figure out the routes! Anyone knows if there are many connections to Chartered Garden by any chance?

Thank you for any feedback in advance!

fth

I think in any negotiation just having a higher/lower argument on rent is more difficult. As a non-Cantonese speaker I instead of getting a lower rent got some white goods and curtains installed and greater flexibility to drop out of my lease.

I think it depends more on whether your landlord thinks you are good tenants and looking after his property. Moving out is also a valid threat as they will be facing a void period of no rent for a month or two if you do.

Not sure about rooms in a shared apartment but 10-15% sounds reasonable. Doesn't hurt to ask.

BTW: Have you asked the people staying there how much they pay? Might give you some idea/reference.

this is a flat share, dont think the landlord even knows the person who rented this flat is subletting the rooms so its up to the person who rented the flat to neg the price with you. you might be able to squeeze 500 of the asking price, as Raccon said, doesnt hurt asking.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. This is a direct contract with the landlord not a sublet. In addition, there's weekly cleaning service in the common area.