Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PDLM

Appt in Cochrane Street

Closed Thread

Question Appt in Cochrane Street

Hello,

I just arrived in HK some days ago and I'm now looking for an appartment.
    This afternoon, I've visited a flat in Cochrane St, between Central and Sheung Wan. The entrance is very poor, but the appartment itself looks quite nice.
    I was just wondering if someone has an opinion on the street or the neighbourhood. Cochrane St is a pedestrian street, so there was little noise when I visited, but maybe it gets louder in the evening ?
    Any help would be much appreciated !

Thank you very much,
    Thomas

I think it depends where exactly on Cochrane Street. I've heard from someone nearby, for example, that there are very regular late night (2-4am) disturbances outside the Buddha Lounge right up the top of Cochrane Street near Hollywood Road. And as always in HK it will depend how high up you are.

ThomasWeiss likes this.

Thanks for the reply.
    I'll have a walk there this evening to see how it changes from midday, I guess it's the best way to find out !

Thomas

It goes on past 4am.

I have seen people staggering out at 7am, while I am on my way up to Old Bailey Street for breakfast at Flying Pan, electronic music blaring out onto the street. Not to mention it can get pretty messy too, so do not be shocked that you may find yourself hopping over pools of vomit, blood and sometimes both.

Drop may be tucked into a corner, but the patrons can still create a bit of a ruckus outside.

In my opinion the filthiest stretch in SoHo.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, thanks for the advice !

It's not completely up the street, it's near the junction with Wellington. But I guess that the proximity of the escalator brings a lot of people by the end of the night ? I went there this evening, around 9pm and it was still quiet...
    It's a pity, the flat was very nice

Thomas

That is farther away from the noise, but what floor is it on? I think as long as the windows do not offer a full view of the apartments to the commuters on the escalator (so a few levels higher up required), you should be okay.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasWeiss:
    But I guess that the proximity of the escalator brings a lot of people by the end of the night ?
    The escalator stops running at midnight so the escalator/escalator route itself wouldn't be an issue...that's not to say there aren't other reasons why it would be noisy around that area...

If it's a great apartment, it might just boil down to how sound a sleeper you are??

I just came past the Hollywood/Cochrane junction at 2am and it was pretty noisy.

It's not 9pm you need to worry about, it's 2/4am!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I've heard from someone nearby, for example, that there are very regular late night (2-4am) disturbances outside the Buddha Lounge right up the top of Cochrane Street near Hollywood Road.
    Maybe that was me. My office overlooks that corner, and if I'm doing a late shift, the rucks out there can be really loud... men shouting, women screaming, smashing bottles etc.

Further down near Wellington though should be fine.

The flat is on the 4th or 5th floor, so based on your feedbacks it could be worth to give it a try !
    I have to thank you all for helping me, I'm quite surprised to see how reactive this forum is.

Thomas