Like Tree2Likes

accommodation hunt - help?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by anii:
    Separate question regarding landlords/agents - frankly the threads on here are scaring me with the horror tales of terrible landlords, agents and mould - are they that bad?!
    I've never had problems with my landlords here, and also, none of my friends have ever had any problems with theirs. I think it's just a case of bad news travels fast...people post about problems to find a solution, or just to vent a bit. But don't panic - I don't think it means the majority of landlords are bad.

I've had 5 different flats and landlords in HK, 4 of them through agents and never had a problem with anything.

Why cut out olympic? if you work in IFC then you are right on top of the MTR - 2 stops to Olympic - can't get much more convenient!

Well if you're outside of MTR hours, that can be a problem and the Western tunnel isn't cheap. I'd prefer to be on the island if I worked in Central.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Well if you're outside of MTR hours, that can be a problem and the Western tunnel isn't cheap. I'd prefer to be on the island if I worked in Central.
    MTR hours being 00:25 to 6:01 - any employer that requires you to work later than half past midnight can pay for a cab home!

Not if you go out for drinks/dinner or whatever and not if you are working late/early on your own accord...

The reality is that is you work in Central and you're a single expat, there's a fair chance you'll be socializing on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Not if you go out for drinks/dinner or whatever and not if you are working late/early on your own accord...

The reality is that is you work in Central and you're a single expat, there's a fair chance you'll be socializing on the island.
    Fair enough. I am in bed well before 00:25 and get up after 6am, so the concept that these hours might not be sufficient is completely alien to me! My boss now lives in Olympic and works in Central - he seems to find it fine and he is more of a social animal than i... but I take your point.

Obviously it's not necessarily that hard to do, it is convenient, not too expensive and there are some nice newish developments there.

It's simply a matter of personal choice, I know people that argue that DB is a great place to live, cheap and the ferries are frequent and fast. Personally, you'd have to pay me to live there...

If I can be a stone's throw(or an easy bike ride) or where I work and play, I will choose that even if it means paying more or having a smaller/older place but then again, I'm not a nester...

Different people, different priorities...

Thanks for the good landlord bits. *relief*

I take the point that everywhere around HK is convenient, it is just that for the first year at least, I'd prefer to be on the same island as work location, and where most of the (rather few) people I know are. As gilleshk sniffed out, yes, single.

I figured in the second year, I could then be all jaded and move out to some nice seaside apartment or house and stick my nose up at all the people in the MidLevels. (I do love the seaside, grew up by it.)

On another tangent (sorry, a lot of queries, I think I'm rather confused ) :

HKID card - I've to apply for this within a month of arrival, but it requires a residential address? Could I use an office/first month company provided service apartment address?

Bank account - same with the above - they all seem to require residential proof of address?

So from the sounds of it, the househunting has to be done first?… But without the bank account, how am I to pay my rental deposits, short of charging to Amex?

Last edited by anii; 04-03-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: grammar

It's a while back but if memory serves me right, I used my work address at the beginning and I don't remember any issues. Mind you, I'm good at lying or making up the necessary paperwork to get things done when necessary and I have no conscience about these kinds of things...

Laksa Girl likes this.