Zenith, luxury 2bed, Wanchai/Admiralty : Furnish or Unfurnish?

Zenith, luxury 2bed, Wanchai/Admiralty : Furnish or Unfurnish?

I'm getting a 2bed flat ready to rent out.

Is it better to Furnish it first, or leave it empty for the tenant to furnish individually?

I want to find an English-speaking tenant as I don't speak much Cantonese and I've had some issues in the past with agents. Given it is a luxury block (clubhouse, pool, balcony, high spec fitout etc) and walking distance to Admiralty/Wanchai, I'm expecting a "corporate" type of tenant, probably a single expat.

If I have to Furnish it, would that just be furniture, or would I also have to provide kitchen utensils, towels, linens etc? I don't want to go in to the service apartment business but I just want to make it easy and attractive for a tenant!

Unfurnished all the way, too much hassle dealing with additonal inventory and of course arranging delivery etc etc and what if then tenants taste in furnishings is not the same as yours?
    Posted via Mobile Device

I just moved over here from the States last month, and I rented a completely unfurnished, new apartment, which is turning out to be a pain in the ass considering I don't have curtains yet.

If you have the basics done, curtains, lighting, washer/dryer, refrig... should be enough, although my wardrobe / bed delivery took nearly a month due to CNY and I was sleeping on the floor.

Depends on what type of client you are looking for.

If you provide furniture, there is more of a risk that it will be damaged/wear and tear. At the same time there is the higher ability to charge more for a rental income.

Usually i recommend to my clients to not have furniture, but provide the option say the first months half or full rent will go towards furniture if they really need it to keep the tenant.

The best tenants are usually people who are planning to stay here long term, best to find tenants that have come on their own and have been here for a couple years. They will usually have their own furniture also.

The ones that require furniture are usually the ones testing the soil for a year or two. It is best to find people that haven't been sent here by their companies as they can easily move around.

kitchen utensils, towels, linens etc are over and above the norm.

thanks everyone! appreciate your advices so much. I guess I had the same experience when I arrived as Jason without curtains, bed etc and it reminded me what a total pain it was!

Put in all appliances and curtains. Leave out the rest, but give the option to provide it if the tenants wants it, hike up the rent accordingly of course. A simple trip to Ikea could do the trick, won't take long to deliver.

I prefer having the furniture in the apartment, I dont know how long I will stay in HK and if I buy the furniture later I have nowhere to put it , Just have to throw it away. I didnt rent out ANY apartment, the furniture had to be really nice and clean. So just make it look nice sleek and modern and people will like it ! Just essentials, Dining table, bed cabinets, bed frame with mattress and sidetables. Now I moved to a unfurnished one and its a bitch! Had to buy everything.
    But I guess its up to everyones personality what do they want and not.I just would prefer furnished if I will rent the apartment and its not mine

Well it depends really. I once rented a furnished apartment in HK. The furniture was new and clean but the style was so... well let's just say I hated it, so I asked the landlord to remove all of it and I bought all my own.

I regretted it as it meant from then on everywhere else I moved to I was shipping my own furniture with me, not only was it expensive, it might not suit the next apartment I was renting.

After 3 moves (I was an expatriate relocating between different countries), I finally put all my stuff in storage. Then when I moved back to HK, I gave it all away.

IT really depends on how long you are living in an apartment plus it is personal. Anything above 2 years, yeah I will buy my own. Anything below, might as well rent a serviced apartment (with hotel style furniture).