Like Tree10Likes

Looking for housing - which areas?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mongkok is a little seedy and I wouldn't want to live in that area but I haven't yet seen an area of HK I wouldn't consider safe. One the most famous and prestigious schools in HK is in Mongkok so you can take your agent's word with a grain of salt.

Aashu likes this.

Of course it's not true - everywhere in Hong Kong is safe.

Aashu likes this.

Even as a single female I would have no worries about living in Mong Kok or elsewhere in Kowloon. Not the most beautiful environment, certainly, but safe by any big city standards.

Aashu likes this.

Thanks Guys,

Am almost decided on a place now. Visited kowloon and it didnt seem unsafe at all really. But am sticking to HK island(closer to work).
    But before I make it final, what is the average cost of utilities per month i.e. electricity + water + internet + gas? The flat in question is a 1 bedroom + living room + kitchen thing.

I just relocated from London to HK Island.

electricity is about 500, u have to pay 700 deposit on your first payment. water is about 20-30, internet is about 200, gas is about 200-300. mobile can be between 100-200. so expect to pay about 1k per month for bills.

Aashu likes this.

HK$2-300 per month for gas is a lot - you'd need to be doing quite a bit of cooking to run up that much. Electricity will increase substantially as the temperature rises and you need to run aircons.

some places still have gas water heaters... not just for cooking...

as for us, our electric is HUGE!!! but we have a large house and we run the aircons pretty much 24/7 for about 5 months of the year.

our gas is NOTHING... we don't have a gas connection. every 2-3 months we need to get a new bottle of gas for our oven and about ever 4-5 months one for our bbq.

tin sui wai

Quote Originally Posted by Aashu:
    Hi All,

I have just joined a company in HK a week back and am now looking around for accommodation options. This is my first time in HK and I do not have a very good idea about the different areas and localities. I get 6000 HKD as housing allowance from my employer.

What areas should I be looking at in terms of accommodation? Is it possible to get a room or studio apartment in this budget or would I be better off looking for a flat share arrangement?

Are the rentals in Kowloon cheaper than on HK island? And if so, are they within my budget?

My budget excludes utilities. My office is around Admiralty and I would definitely not want to commute over 20-30 mins everyday.

Thanks a lot in advance!
    u can rent 3bed room nice flate in tinsui wai
    kingswood villas
    kiani

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    some places still have gas water heaters... not just for cooking...
    Indeed (in fact most places in the urban areas I think). But you'd need to be using a lot of hot water to get up to $300/month! I can't imagine one person living on their own managing it.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help.

I am getting a deal for a 1 bedroom house in Wanchai area in a walk up building with a fridge, a washing machine, air conditioners and a microwave. It's a big house and the rooms are nice. Furthermore, it's just a block away from my office(Pacific 3)

However there is absolutely no furnishing whatsoever. I am hoping that the landlord does provide a bed at least and have asked for one. The asking rent is 8000 per month. Do you guys think its a fair deal?

Thanks again,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast